Tender Outboard

RayB

Visit site
Just bought a 2.2m rib to hang on the back and was looking for recomendations on an outboard to push it along. It is rated for up to a 4hp but I want to keep the weight realistic. I have been told that 4hp weigh around 25kg whilst 2 & 3 hp are around 12kg. Therefore I am thinking along the line of the 3.3hp Mariner at the mo. Do I need to go this big and what kind of performance would I get???

PS not bothered about 4 stroke or 2 stroke, reliability, performance and weight are important to me.

Help appreciated.

"Hopefully that won't be too expensive to fix?"

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Depends alot on the voyages that the intended dinghy has to make. But your right, my 4hp Mariner is quite heavy. All the yachties seem to manage with 2hp. Mind you they would probably have a heart attack if they got over 4 knotts!!
So go for 3HP then your still in front!!

No one can force me to come here-----------
----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

RayB

Visit site
perhaps if I buy a 3.3 but get it badged as a 2...................come on you raggies:)

"Hopefully that won't be too expensive to fix?"

D

Deleted User YDKXO

With a 4hp, you might get the rib to plane whereas with 2 or 3hp, I guess you wont, so it depends what you want to do with it. Also, consider what the capacity of your davits are.
Personally, I would go for a 4 stroke to avoid all that mess with oil mixing. I've had good service from a Yamaha 4hp

dickh

Visit site
Go for the 3.3 Mariner, or if you have a friendly outboard mechanic, buy the 2.5 Mariner and get him to remove the restriction - the 2.5 is a de-tuned 3.3... I believe it is a different jet, but don't quote me. In a recent test they came out quite well, the lightest in power & weight was the Suzuki/Yamaha but the Mariner/Mercury/Tohatsu range were better on power but heavier at about 12½ kg.
One of the mags did a test about 6 months ago, but I can't remember which...

dickh
I'd rather be sailing...

dickh

Visit site
Just remembered there was another post about a week ago that recommended the Johnson 3.3 as the water passages were larger and did not get clogged up like the Mariner/Mercury/Tohatsu.

dickh
I'd rather be sailing...

Pendana

Visit site
I've just made the mistake of buying a suzumar265 with suzuki 4hp 4 stroke....great combination but just too heavy to hang off the simpson 40 davits. Now looking for a light 2hp motor.

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
I have a Mariner Magnum 10 on the back of our tender, an Avon 280 rib. Bit of a hooligan tender, 20 knots 1 up :) but the motor acts as an aux for the big boat and that's my justification so there!

Too heavy for easy lifting on the davits so the engine goes onto the bracket.

Two beers please, my friend is paying.

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Outboard????
You damn stinkies never heard of oars?

You only consider starting the engine when the Needles ( or Ireland in my case) is 20 mins away on current drift. ;-)

Rather be with a drink in boat
than in the drink with a boat

DepSol

Visit site
I have a Wetline 265 with a 3.3 Mariner goes well no problems so far and nearly a year old.

Dom

I just want my boat back in the water ;-(