Temporary Cradle for fin keeler

malcolmfssmith

Visit site
Anyone got any thoughts/experience in using a temporary cradle for drying out a fin keeler for a tide or two. I've got a nice patch of level, hard sand in a sheltered spot. I had a notion to knock up something in timber that could be partially dismantled for storage and reused in subsequent years. The Albin Vega owner's handbook has a design for a winter storage cradle - but a Vega has a much longer and fatter keel than my Jaguar 27 (disp: 5600 lbs).

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Based on diagrams I find e.g. here your boat would sit on legs very well. Looks very similar to mine below the water, although a bit smaller. Make them up in some decent materials, wood is fine, and you could carry them aboard for future use.

IMG_1344.jpg

malcolmfssmith

Visit site
Thanks Vyv,

I assume those legs would need some kind of fixings on the hull - would these have backing plates. Sounds a bit tricky though it would be nice to be able to carry them on board.

I had in mind lumps of timber that could be bundled in the back of an estate car and then assembled in an hour or so. I envisaged a free standing cradle in which she would lean a little one way or the other. I imagine that the "design" is just as important as the thickness of the timber.

earlybird

Visit site
How are you going to stop your timber cradle from floating away before you dock? Anchoring firmly down to sand might be difficult. Angle iron might be better, and easier to assemble. You will need adequately strong and tall side arms and perhaps a bow post.
All in all, IMHO, you will finish up with quite a weighty assembly. Certainly not something that you will want to store on board.