Temple footbridge closed. Again.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
The wooden footbridge above Temple lock has been closed by the EA because it is unsafe.

It was closed some time ago but allowed to reopen. This time it looks like it might be properly dangerous.

Let's hope it doesn't fall in the River.

'Unsafe' Temple Bridge between Hurley and Marlow closed

Story from 16th May 2023.

maidenhead-advertiser.co.uk/news/marlow---bourne-end/185473/unsafe-temple-bridge-between-hurley-and-marlow-closed.html

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
There were significant problems with the bridge around Marsh weir as well.

Not sure if that one has been reopened. Wooden thing.

If Benson weir is dodgy that sounds rather expensive.

Concrete and steel if I remember right.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Temple Bridge, the Horse footbridge above Marsh Lock and the walkway across the weir at Benson are all Environment Agency assets - ie owned by the agency who are responsible for their upkeep. Cost of repairs has to come from the waterway budget or be funded by government and all major works = very expensive. Any guesses as to when funding and approval for works will be forthcoming is pure conjecture but not likely to be anytime soon
Benson - Benson weir footway closed- Jan 2023 ongoing - National Trails
Marsh - Marsh Lock Footbridge Closed Due to Safety Groundshttps://www.henleyherald.com › 2022/05/06 › marsh-lo...
Temple Bridge - Temple footbridge closed - My Marlow

All 3 closures have no direct effect on navigation - the most inconvenient is probably the weir walkway at Benson which makes it difficult to moor at the lock and walk across to the cafe at Benson waterfront.
The ferry is a private enterprise operated by Byegone Boating who operate hire boats from Benson marina:
Ferry to carry passengers across Benson Weir

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Benson is the most interesting one as it is part of the actual weir. Bridges are one thing but if weir structures start getting dangerous this seems to be indicative of severe problems. Why would Benson walkway be closed to the public? I haven't been across it for a long time and can't really remember but presumably it is the railings.

Which one will be next. Abingdon? Hambleden?

st599

Visit site
Teddington lock bridge seems to have a load of building site fence panels cable tied to it as well now.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I've got a little theory which is that there is a person with influence who is a health and safety fan in the EA.

The wooden boards and posts at that mooring have been wobbly for ages. One wonders if it will be in the maintenance works at some stage. People have noticed it is closed and it is full of boats.

Time Out

Visit site
Teddington lock bridge seems to have a load of building site fence panels cable tied to it as well now.
Yes, it is to stop the hundreds, sometimes thousands, of kids throughout the summer (and a bit of winter) descending on the lock island (not THE lock), swimming, drowning, assaulting others, attempted rape, and last but not least wrecking the boats there, one of which is mine.

It was bad during the lockdown and through the power of social media is now a place to hang out for a lot of out-of-towners hell-bent on causing nothing but trouble. I have nothing against swimming in the Thames, well I do but each to their own but this truly attracts some hideous individuals who as always have spoiled it for all. This is not NIMBY talk this is a genuine concern for safety talk. Dispersal orders are common place during the summer months now.

That is why the fence remains there, unfortunately.

Pump-Out

Visit site
Try getting a lift out at Thames & Kennet, now the EA have taken that over - or use of the dry dock at Shepperton. All made as hard as possible, if not already closed for some spurious risk assessment.

The EA are slowly closing the river to navigation.