Tek Tanks - Advice Please

mark1882

Visit site
Hi

I need to replace my fuel tank as the current mild steel one has started to leak, probably rusting from the inside out.

I am considering having a new plastic tank from Tek Tanks and would welcome members comments/experiences of having a plastic fuel tank.

One particular issue I would like advice on is whether or not you can see the fuel level in the tank. I have a sight gauge on my current tank which I prefer to a normal eclectic/float fuel gauge as the site gauge always shows the correct fuel level and is pretty bullet proof. We are on route to the Med so do not currently use red diesel so its an issue as to whether or not you can see the fuel level whilst using white diesel. I have a plastic holding tank not sure who it was made by as it was on the boat when I bought it but I cannot see the level in this and have to rely on the float gauge which can be a bit temperamental hence part of the reason for my question.

Thanks

Mark

VicS

Visit site
I have a red HDPE tank for outboard fuel I cannot see the petrol level though the tank wall.

You might see the level through the wall of a white tank but I doubt it

Diesel fuel is cleaner than the contents of your holding tank so I'd expect a contents gauge to be more reliable ... there are several types to choose from.
My outboard tank has a direct reading spiral mechanical type. ( Not magnetically coupled like the Tek tanks one) It works but is very inaccurate.

Last edited:

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Our fuel tank is plastic but not see through at all. The fuel gauge is, at best, an approximate indication of how much fuel is left. We record engine hours in our log: we know the engine uses 2 litres per hour and that the tank holds 150 litres, when we've run the engine for about 40 hours, we've used 80 litres and have just under half a tank remaining. Therefore about time to refuel. Usually accurate to within about 4 or 5 litres, which is close enough for me. Gauge, as I said, is a waste of space but I don't miss a sight glass or the ability to dip the tank, just be careful about keeping track of engine hours.

prv

Visit site
We fitted a Tek Tanks plastic tank to Kindred Spirit. The location wasn't somewhere you could conveniently check the level by eye, but I think I remember seeing it through the tank wall occasionally when I was upside down in the stern locker. That was with red diesel; I'd be more dubious with white.

The fuel gauges in both boats have been reliable. Kindred Spirit's was specially made to give linear readings despite the irregular tank shape.

Pete

chasroberts

Visit site
We also fitted a new Tek Tank and took the opportunity to fit an electric gauge at the same time. It depends on how much light you have in the tankage area as to whether you will be able to see through it. I would not count on it though. Why not have a sight gauge on the new tank? TT will be able to install the necessary fittings at the time of construction so if you're happy with that system, keep it.

blackbeard

Visit site
Fuel gauge - I was once informed by Sea Start that fuel gauges were a major cause of running out of fuel (due to being inaccurate or unreliable).
Plastic tanks - I have one arranged so that the fuel level is visible. Well, sort of visible. It's quite difficult to see clearly (tank is translucent rather than transparent) although it helps if the boat is rolling slightly as the level is then seen to move about and is more obvious. This is with red diesel, no idea how it might work with "white" diesel. Agree it's a good idea to keep track of engine hours as a guide to amount of fuel used.

Caer Urfa

groups.yahoo.com
Hi

I need to replace my fuel tank as the current mild steel one has started to leak, probably rusting from the inside out.

I am considering having a new plastic tank from Tek Tanks and would welcome members comments/experiences of having a plastic fuel tank.

One particular issue I would like advice on is whether or not you can see the fuel level in the tank. I have a sight gauge on my current tank which I prefer to a normal eclectic/float fuel gauge as the site gauge always shows the correct fuel level and is pretty bullet proof. We are on route to the Med so do not currently use red diesel so its an issue as to whether or not you can see the fuel level whilst using white diesel. I have a plastic holding tank not sure who it was made by as it was on the boat when I bought it but I cannot see the level in this and have to rely on the float gauge which can be a bit temperamental hence part of the reason for my question.

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark

I fitted twin 57 litre each Tec tanks 10 years ago without any problems since, no you can not see through them (mines red) as said with Tek tanks you can order them with the fuel gauge indicator etc and I have found them pretty accurate/reliable, you will also need restraining straps!

Mike

rob2

Visit site
Just a thought on sight tubes. When I bought my boat, the surveyor pointed out that in the event of a fire, the sight tube would melt and dump the contents of the tank onto the engine - the insurers of course then insisted that the situation was sorted. I bought a sight tube for an oil storage tank from BES. It has a press to open valve at the take off point so in a fire only the content of the sight tube will spill.

Rob.

thalassa

www.wv-saeftinghe.nl
My stainless steel fuel tank is not very transparent:) and has a sight guage. It was indeed rather difficult to see the white diesel level from some distance away, but I have stuck one of these ubiquitous self-adhesive white LEDs strips on the tank, behind the guage. It works on a small battery and a momentary switch. The level is VERY easy to see.

johnphilip

Visit site
Our fuel tank is plastic but not see through at all. The fuel gauge is, at best, an approximate indication of how much fuel is left. We record engine hours in our log: we know the engine uses 2 litres per hour and that the tank holds 150 litres, when we've run the engine for about 40 hours, we've used 80 litres and have just under half a tank remaining. Therefore about time to refuel. Usually accurate to within about 4 or 5 litres, which is close enough for me. Gauge, as I said, is a waste of space but I don't miss a sight glass or the ability to dip the tank, just be careful about keeping track of engine hours.

All the more pity that my volvo hour meter gave up the ghost years ago.