Tee Hee

byron

RIP
Visit site
A Narrowboat and a Trip boat decided to leave a lock at the same time. They jammed themselves in the mouth of the lock. It took 3 hours and a tug to extricate them.
This happened today up at Abingdon

Ramage

Visit site
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

jaws

Visit site
And here is the proof

image006.jpg

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
I have witnessed several episodes of this nature over the last couple of years but not one where boats actually got in a jam.

It has long been the norm on the Thames that boats leave the lock in priority of nearness to the exit gates. Sometimes this means a boat will leave first even though it entered behind another boat.

However, some Narrow Boats (and I DO mean 'some' as its not all) seem to decide theyre off as soon as the gates open and dont seem to think theres anything wrong with two boats leaving side by side!

On one occasion where a NB and I were virtually bow to bow I actually spoke to the NB skipper and agreed that I would leave first only to then find him moving out alongside me. Had I not stopped my boat then a scenario such as the one at Abingdon could easily have arisen.

Can anyone explain this behaviour? Is it accepted practice on wide canals or is it just a lack of knowledge of Thames practice?

For anyone reading this that is not familiar with Thames locks, it is not unusual for the lock chamber to be significantly wider than the gateways.

MiskinDriver

Visit site
Having spent a lot of time on the canals on narrow boats - I can tell you that what you're seeing is often the physics of the situation. In a lock (or any constricted area of water) the effect of one boat passing another is to start a 'tow' for the slower, or stationary boat. So, when you agree that one boat will leave first, the effect of you beginning to move (bearing in mind you are in a cul de sac, is that the second boat will move also. In locks where there is not enough space to get both boats out at the same time - and this applies to most of the locks on the canal system - the only way to wait for one boat to go before you move is to use a touch of reverse. Anyone experienced in these things does it almost automatically - whereas someone reasonably new to the game probably won't.

This doesn't excuse people getting stuck - but it does explain that they're not all being as dumb (or hurried) as it sometimes looks.

Mind you, now I've moved to the tidal Thames, I don't have to worry and more!

Phill

Visit site
surely, the second boat would remain stationary if it were still held with ropes.
My crew (the kids hate me calling them that) always keep ropes around bollards until its our turn to leave a lock. Always worked for us.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
[ QUOTE ]
surely, the second boat would remain stationary if it were still held with ropes.
My crew (the kids hate me calling them that) always keep ropes around bollards until its our turn to leave a lock. Always worked for us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.
And I wasnt talking about boats moving a little but being DRIVEN out alongside me, in one case apparently doing his damnedest to get in front of me before he reached the gates!
My crew wont let go until I tell them its ok to do so.

Sammo

Visit site
Looking at the picture it is obvious that the hire boat was dive bombed by the NB as it was innocently leaving…..also I wonder if the NB has a carriers licence to transport those bricks…..
I hope that the tug and lost time suffered by others as a direct result of this mindless negligence will be passed to the NB skipper in the form of an Invoice ….and if he has no money it should be taken out on his nose……
As a deterrent the NB should be impounded and the skipper fined then put to death …….
The bricks should be confiscated to repair the lock walls……

Noww…can I come out of the paddock…or at least have my shirt back?

….

Phill

Visit site
....also I wonder if the NB has a carriers licence to transport those bricks…..

I dont think they are bricks........ Could be the remains of one of Byrons picnic tables...... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

TrueBlue

Visit site
To answer your question on a point of information only -

It is common practice but ONLY amongst experienced crews; when working through a long flight of broad locks (e.g Hattton, Wigan, Caen Hill) for both boats either to breast up, or for both to move together as a pair towards the next lock (which is usually only 100 yds or so ahead). That way, both arrive at the next open lock at the same time and enter smoothly.

Doing it the conventional way involves a lot of revving if engines and fiddling about, boats all over the Cut and muddy water everywhere.

It is NOT common practice, however, and completely pointless on the Thames.

Comment:-
I have noticed however, in the last couple of years, a new phenomenon on the Thames that the boat who thinks he is in the front of the lock assumes he has priority and roars out. The boat next to him - who was probably first anyway, assumes the age-old Thames "rule" of FIFO (First in First Out) applies, and both go together.
I for one find it more "fun" to offer courtesy and say after you "old chap", or "mind if I go first".

I just doesn't work if the "other" boat treats the lock like a traffic light rather than a place for friendly conversation.....

Day boater receive no or little instruction and treat the river like a frustrating road full of caravaners. They miss the point that a trip should be one of relaxation?

Gavi

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Exactly.
And I wasnt talking about boats moving a little but being DRIVEN out alongside me, in one case apparently doing his damnedest to get in front of me before he reached the gates!
My crew wont let go until I tell them its ok to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I was behind you that day? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif