Teak decks again!

bromleybysea

Visit site
I have decided that next summer I will bite the bullet and do a propper job an the teak decks, which are through-fastened and leaky, on a 30-year old boat . Now, most of the teak still has a minimum of 6-8mm thickness left and more in most places, but the plugs are coming out and some of the seams are now very shallow. The seams are formed by a rebate on adjoining planks and don't go the full thickness of the deck- I don't know if this is usual or not. A complication is that the teak is laid in a recess which means that the option of simply getting rid of it is not on, something would have to be laid in it's place. So my thinking is to lift the existing deck as carefully as possible (it seems not to be very firmly stuck down), accepting that I will have to replace some of it, regroving it with a router and filling the holes in the grp sub-deck and then sticking it back without fastenings and finishing.

I know this is a big job and I intend to come out for the summer to do it, and some others. Is this a practical solution and given what I have said above, are there any practical alternatives that occur to you?

pyrojames

transat2013.blogspot.co.uk
I would seriously consider laying new teak. for all the time and effort you are putting in, removing, cleaning and replacing the existing teak, you are still going to end up with old, thin teak, with numerous screw holes in it. Bit the bullet and spend a bit more on replacing it all. I spent about £3000 on teak, epoxy and sealants doing my 33 footer 3 years ago, definitely worth it.

bromleybysea

Visit site
Certainly worth considering replacing the teak, especially as I have some teak boards already. Not a job I have tackled before and though reasonably handy, I find it a bit daunting. Can you say a bit more about what's involved, for example getting a curve on the teak, what you stuck it down with etc?