Taylor’s cooker

Geoff A

Visit site
Replacement safety on-off fuel control valve for a Taylor’s cooker are over £100. My new to me boat has one with two burners with an oven.It needs a new valve as the existing one when under pressure leaks from the spindle that is part of the control knob. There is no way that I can see where it is possible to take it apart so that new internal parts can be fitted. I think I have found an alternative company where I can get a new valve. Can any one tell me what the operating pressure in the main tank should be, please. From what I can find out about them people either love or hate them. If I was to strip it out what would a fully working cooker
be worth? As I have not tried lighting it at the moment I do not know if I want to keep it or sell it.

servus

Visit site
I cannot give you any technical advice.
I am looking for a regulator/valve (that is the knob that makes the flame bigger or smaller), for the oven of my old Taylor gas stove.
Maybe just tell us the alternative company, if I may ask.
Or the source for original spares.
Thanks, G.

wrr

Visit site
Every part of a Taylors cooker can be dismantled, which is why they last for years. See the handbook here: https://www.sparesmarine.co.uk/_webedit/uploaded-files/All Files/Taylors Paraffin Cookers.pdf
There should be a sealing graphite bush on the valve spindle that you can tighten down on with the nut or replace if it is worn out. The 4 legged Hanse burners are excellent if excrutiatingly expensive and are a great improvement on the terrible 2 leg burners fitted in the past when the originals became unavailable., As Napoleon, the pig, said in Animal Farm, four legs good two legs bad.

Geoff A

Visit site
I cannot give you any technical advice.
I am looking for a regulator/valve (that is the knob that makes the flame bigger or smaller), for the oven of my old Taylor gas stove.
Maybe just tell us the alternative company, if I may ask.
Or the source for original spares.
Thanks, G.
If you google Taylors cooker their web site will come up it has a full spares list with prices. The reason I have asked for the operating pressure is the alternative company's control valve may or may not be any good.

Visit site
Replacement safety on-off fuel control valve for a Taylor’s cooker are over £100. My new to me boat has one with two burners with an oven.It needs a new valve as the existing one when under pressure leaks from the spindle that is part of the control knob. There is no way that I can see where it is possible to take it apart so that new internal parts can be fitted. I think I have found an alternative company where I can get a new valve. Can any one tell me what the operating pressure in the main tank should be, please. From what I can find out about them people either love or hate them. If I was to strip it out what would a fully working cooker
be worth? As I have not tried lighting it at the moment I do not know if I want to keep it or sell it.
I operate mine at 15 psi but that is with Hanse burners. There is more about the stove here: The Taylors Paraffin Cooker! – Sumara of Weymouth

mullet

Visit site
Do you mean the stopcock/valve between the tank and the cooker? Or the needle valve that is part of each of the cooker’s burners?

The former should be more like £20 (I’ve bought one in the last year or so, will look up details tomorrow), the latter is an easy rebuild with spares readily available.

Blake/Taylors manufactured a small proportion of the parts of the cookers (the bodies, cast iron parts, gimbals); the rest were made by third parties, specifically all the fuel-line and plumbing parts and burners - and if you go direct to source the parts are dramatically cheaper. Unfortunately the company that made all the pipe compression joints ceased production in the last couple of years - but those are the parts that are least prone to failure.

mullet

Visit site

Geoff A

Visit site
Do you mean the stopcock/valve between the tank and the cooker? Or the needle valve that is part of each of the cooker’s burners?

The former should be more like £20 (I’ve bought one in the last year or so, will look up details tomorrow), the latter is an easy rebuild with spares readily available.

Blake/Taylors manufactured a small proportion of the parts of the cookers (the bodies, cast iron parts, gimbals); the rest were made by third parties, specifically all the fuel-line and plumbing parts and burners - and if you go direct to source the parts are dramatically cheaper. Unfortunately the company that made all the pipe compression joints ceased production in the last couple of years - but those are the parts that are least prone to failure.
It is the valve between the tank and cooker. Looking at the Taylors price list they are about £120.00. see photo. To any one else reading this thread I have not decided to sell or keep the cooker. I would like to know a reasonable asking price if I decided to sell it.

Attachments

• 20240918_111242.jpg
    20240918_111242.jpg
    914.9 KB · Views: 5

srm

Visit site
I fitted one in the 80's to a boat that would be cruising for up to 6 months each summer as far easier and lighter to carry paraffin for the cruise rather than Calor gas cylinders. I don't remember a pressure gauge on the tank, just pumped it up till pumping became hard and pumped a bit more if the burners started to go lower. However, some people did not like the smell. Years later, having changed boats, I was visiting on another boat with one and decided that I would not want to go back to it for that reason.