Tally Ho's capstan

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
It is not a restoration, it is a new build yacht. I am not so sure why he did not just get the plans and build a new boat from the beginning instead of dismantling the old boat and then building a new boat.
A romantic idea simple as that which ended up overtaking the original idea, I do wonder what he considers the boat to be, a restoration or a replica.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
[Inappropriate quoted content removed]
I’m not sure it was so much an active plea for money but more of a young man who has achieved tremendous success with a project that’s grown like Topsy, but for whom the strain and pressure of producing high quality videos and managing a growing workforce etc. has got to him a bit. He needs a holiday but time pressure means he can’t take one.

Last edited by a moderator:

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I’m not sure it was so much an active plea for money but more of a young man who has achieved tremendous success with a project that’s grown like Topsy, but for whom the strain and pressure of producing high quality videos and managing a growing workforce etc. has got to him a bit. He needs a holiday but time pressure means he can’t take one.
PS I forgot to say I also have watched all the videos and am an active Patron supporter. I see it as a small price to pay for the viewing pleasure I’ve had.

Aquaboy

Visit site
As a Youtube watch its drifted away from the charm of the early days. Often forget about it for a few weeks and end up skipping through a few episodes cherry picking the more interesting, less annoying bits....

doug748

Visit site
Another view is that the Tally Ho build/restoration is on YouTube as entertainment, and you can buy into it as a viewer, donor, or Patreon, or not at all. As you would with other entertainment.
Leo is, in my view, an extraordinary person who took on a very ambitious project with very limited resources, and a lot of courage and skill. The whole project has developed as it has progressed, and the end result looks like being an extraordinary yacht.
Personally, I find the level of craftsmanship and the quality of materials to be a pleasure to watch. Great entertainment compared to mostly carp on tv.

As you say you just pay for the entertainment but in this case you also back someone who is worth backing and a project that is worth doing.
Don't get me started about the clowns at the BBC that I have to subsidise. :)

steveeasy

Visit site
I’ve followed it from the start. Like most I’ve little to moan about on this topic. However where does the financing stop? Will it fund the sailing for years to come.
Seriously it’s time to show some figures and perhaps donate the surplus to some good causes. This could run and run and a serious amount of funds built up. How much has been spent. Must be knocking in the region of a million, but we don’t know?

Steveeasy

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I’ve followed it from the start. Like most I’ve little to moan about on this topic. However where does the financing stop? Will it fund the sailing for years to come.
Seriously it’s time to show some figures and perhaps donate the surplus to some good causes. This could run and run and a serious amount of funds built up. How much has been spent. Must be knocking in the region of a million, but we don’t know?

Steveeasy
I think you can easily see a £1million already in donations equipment etc and there is little doubt that Leo is asking for more and having to reduce some of the fixed costs like worship by getting the boat in the water and continuing to work and finish it there. There is also no doubt that he expects to continue film making to subsidise his work of chartering and sailing Tally Ho, he said as much in the last video, it will become another sailing You Tube series of videos with a slightly different flavour.

mrming

instagram.com

Steveeasy
I love the project and have watched it from the start. No grumbling from me about the way it’s financed - he’s not forcing anyone to pay, and for me it’s quality entertainment. I do think there’s a potential issue after launch though. I’ve read the comments the whole way through, and it seems there has always been a wide following of engineering types and craftspeople from all walks of life. Not all of those people are sailors, and I would be concerned the channel could become more niche, unless of course he focuses on continued maintenance and improvements. Short version is the channel’s popularity might shrink after the launch. I hope I’m wrong, obviously.

steveeasy

Visit site
Don’t get me wrong it’s given so many people enjoyment and wonderful opportunities for all those people that would never had the chance to help if it was not for the project. I’ve always been a fan.
There is though a lot of funding involved and I’m not too sure the project will ever run out of funds. It’s more the labour costs have increased to an extreme I suspect.
Steveeasy

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Don’t get me wrong it’s given so many people enjoyment and wonderful opportunities for all those people that would never had the chance to help if it was not for the project. I’ve always been a fan.
There is though a lot of funding involved and I’m not too sure the project will ever run out of funds. It’s more the labour costs have increased to an extreme I suspect.
Steveeasy
I think the volunteers dried up a long time ago except one who I think is probably paid now, the craftsmen he has used certainly won't come cheap because they are top quality and will be in demand.
I have no problem with his funding I just say it isn't for me as indeed are virtually all YouTube channels which I will occasionally dip into but would never dream of paying for the "privilege"

Wansworth

Visit site
I think the volunteers dried up a long time ago except one who I think is probably paid now, the craftsmen he has used certainly won't come cheap because they are top quality and will be in demand.
I have no problem with his funding I just say it isn't for me as indeed are virtually all YouTube channels which I will occasionally dip into but would never dream of paying for the "privilege"
I was counting on you as a patron for my newboat😏

steveeasy

Visit site
The makings of a good book one day. What was really going on in Leo’s head when he took it on. Was he dreaming like most of us have done with our first project boat. I wonder how he and others will cope moving from a busy working environment to adjusting to in some ways normality. It won’t be easy. I hope all the past volunteers still feel engaged in some way. It would never have worked without them.
Steveeasy

NormanB

Visit site
Leo is a remarkable young man. This project required vision and a lot of skills, not least his leadership, management, team building communication and film making skills - there are not many who could have pulled this off. The time and effort alone in story boarding, filming and editing is an enormous task and has been absolutely central to attracting the funding and involvement. There are very few channels that come anywhere near this quality.

dankilb

Visit site
img_20240418_144824385-jpg.668284

Courtesy of the other forum!

RivalRedwing

Visit site
I think you can easily see a £1million already in donations equipment etc and there is little doubt that Leo is asking for more and having to reduce some of the fixed costs like worship by getting the boat in the water and continuing to work and finish it there. There is also no doubt that he expects to continue film making to subsidise his work of chartering and sailing Tally Ho, he said as much in the last video, it will become another sailing You Tube series of videos with a slightly different flavour.
I have wondered for some time how Tally Ho is going to be supported / managed once she is sailing... some form of trustee structure or is Leo planning to keep it 'private' and raise the upkeep monies as required? maybe he has covered it and I have missed it..