tak rags ???

G

Helpful story about varnishing on page 106 of the new PBO but what are "the tak rags?" It's written as if I ought to know. Maybe it's that old oil-stained rag in the pocket I call a handkerchief. I never heard the term before.

G

They are muslin rags which are impregnated with a tackey substance, they are used to remove dust prior to varnishing or painting. They are I think marketed by (among others) International. You will also get them from your local automobile paint supplier.

G

Or....

...you can make your own with non-fluffy cloth soaked in white spirit and wrung out.

G

Re: Or....

...whatever 'thinner' is appropriate for the top coat finish.

No point using thinner if the top coat is going to be two pack for instance.

G

They are much better than wetting a rag with thinner. Traditionally I beleive they were made by impregnating muslim with linseed oil. After use put them in the plastic bag and place the bag in a tightly closed jam jar otherwise they dry very quickly.

G

Re: Or....

Rags soaked in thinners are a bit like deck mops: they just spread the "dirt" in a more even layer. Tack racks lift the dust away. Tack rag, then wipe with the appropriate thinners, then tack rag again and paint.