tablet navigation in the sun

Leisure 27

Visit site
Is there a tablet I can use in the cockpit for navigation in the sun. If not whats the best budget one I am thinking Lenova. How do you tell if it is gps usable.

Giblets

Visit site
Some of the cheaper Lenovo's have GPS but do not have the compass sensor. Best to check the specs of any that you are looking at.

To my knowledge no tablet is suitable for viewing in direct sunlight but happy to be corrected.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Is there a tablet I can use in the cockpit for navigation in the sun. If not whats the best budget one I am thinking Lenova. How do you tell if it is gps usable.

I suspect that all Lenovo tablets will be Android and will all have built-in GPS and will be fine for navigation but you can check the specs. I don't know whether they will all have a compass sensor but in my experience those sensor are too innaccurate for navigation. As long as you have GPS, a navigation app (like OpenCPN) and charts on your tablet you'll be fine.

I don't think that any tablets are as a bright as a dedicated plotter but the better ones are usable in sunlight if you get the angle right. In the shade of a bimini or similar, it will be fine. Check the reviews of the tablets and check that lack of brightness is not picked up as a problem.

If you buy one like my Sony Xperia which is splashproof then you have covered all bases. :)

Richard

Benny257

Visit site

I use a Lenovo Tab 8 Android in an OB waterproof case. I have Navionics installed and a few tide apps. It cost me about £80. Not quite as slick as an Ipad, but the screen is good and if it get's knocked overboard or the screen cracks I won't be too stressed. It is usable in sunlight but you might have to turn the brightness up and/or shade the screen slightly. Also good for watching Netflix in the marina. I've installed a USB charge point to power it, though you do get several hours from the battery. I tend to use it intermittently so battery has not been an issue as yet.

Skylark

Visit site
I have a Lenovo Tab with Marine Navigator App. I use it on school boats and deliveries. It has very good battery life and is probably the lowest cost route to a basic navigation tool. I rate it’s day light performance as “near useless”.

Visit site
I have both an old ipad (mine) and a tablet (cheap) - in direct sun they are both pretty rubbish and do overheat. So advice is to find a home for it under the sprayhood. And then move it and look at it closely if you need to when navigating a minefield/brittany/little russell. then it's fine - and a damn site better than a very small screen on a proper plotter. The big raymarine is good (a friend had one)) but it cost him £1200 incl charts for the same info that my phone showed.........(which is pretty good in sunlight)

Mostly however, it's just wasting electricity (like most plotters) as we managed quite well mostly without knowing every second where we are so turning off occasionally is probably an aid to navigation anyway

Robin

Visit site
I have an android notebook which streams and controls the flybridge proper Raymarine displays, radar and all. Perfect down below at lower helm in shade and useless in sunlight just like my phones past and present. Same goes for two laptops running OpenCPN which is truly a shame. I tried to find an add-on gizmo that might shade such devices to make them useable in sunlight but all the offerings had very negative reviews.

ditchcrawler

Visit site
One thing that I have found works well on my iPad is the Media Devil Matte anti glare screen protector. It really does make a difference.
They are about £15 for a pair on Amazon, and you need a clean screen before you apply it. I use my I pad mainly on other people's boats and as a back up on mine. Have look on You Tube for info.

Cardinal

Visit site
Thanks Ditchcrawler for your recommendation. I see those (for the iPad mini) on fleabay for £1.99 a pair and have ordered those.