Synergy Antifouling

loa

Visit site
Has anyone used Synergy Antifouling ? It's significantly cheaper than coppercoat. Different principle but supposedly long lasting.

Trident

Visit site
I use it - applied at the beginning of the year in the Med. It goes on easy and so far (6 months) the bottom is completely clean; there is no growth whatsoever. This is a very high fouling area - just having my dinghy in the water much of the time I have to scrape it every week for weed and barnacles which shows at least how remarkable it is that the synergy is like ground zero at Chernobyl - nothing lives! How long it will last I can't say; they claim 10 years and on the results so far I have no reason to doubt it but I can't vouch for it yet.

loa

Visit site
Thanks Trident
Sounds good. The makers claim 10 years but I think it's only been out for a couple. I may give it a go at the end of the season. Did you have to carry out any special preparation ?

loa

Trident

Visit site
Just sand off all the old antifoul - then put on their epoxy tie coat and next day start doing the synergy. We used 5 coats and did them over 2 days. It sounds a lot compared to antifoul but on a 35 foot cat my wife and I did each coat in about 40 minutes as its goes on like water - very easy to roller.

C08

Visit site
Any more usage feedback or experience using the Synergy Copper Coating made by Reactive Resins?

Trident

Visit site
Opinions vary - I had to repair a patch with their new mix for 2016 which includes a herbicide - that patch is still clean whilst the rest of the boat is being scrubbed free of weed every two weeks and there are lifeforms attaching to the weed. It all comes off with a brush at anchor but last year when it was new it had nothing at all...

I'm really not sure what is happening with it - there are certainly no great swathes of barnacles yet and we're in a very high fouling area of the Med but its not as good as I had hoped, yet other testers they have in the Med appear to be clean as a whistle after a full year.

Spuddy

Visit site
A chum swears by it. I helped him roll it on; it's a water based resin and more tolerant of teperature and humidity. The spiel is that the copper reacts with water and leaches through the porous resin and keeps on doing that. I understand their new version is a further improvement.
It doesnt stay clean as a whistle but any slimy stuff wipes off easy.
I'm tempted myself but it would be lot less effective on my half-tide mooring and also means forking out for blasting off down to gelcoat