Swanwick Marina

paul salliss

Visit site
I am seriousely thinking of berthing at Swanwick thi s year,

can anyone comment who has experience of this marina,

also how long does it take to get down to the open water from up at the top of the Hamble??

many thanks

STEVEDUNSTABLE

sites.google.com
I am seriousely thinking of berthing at Swanwick thi s year,

can anyone comment who has experience of this marina,

also how long does it take to get down to the open water from up at the top of the Hamble??

many thanks

hi paul ....i,ve no experience of the marina, but, it takes about 45 mins to get to the bottom of the river. it is a nice relaxing ride BUT when busy, it can be like the M25 on a bankholiday.. just leave a bit more time on busy days.

acbruce

Visit site
It takes about 20-30 minutes to reach the point of opening your throttles! A nice chance for you and the engines to cool down after some fast running. Also as long as you are no single handed a chance to set or stow fenders, warps etc.

I have been at Swanwick for five seasons and am pretty happy. Staff helpful and cheery, facilities okay (showers etc could be better) and very easy access from motorways etc. Fuel at cost (whatever that means) and lots of service providers. Cafe does excellent beer and breakfasts (not necessarily at the same time)

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
I am just the other side of the bridge, but work in the marina a fair bit.

Its got a nice atmosphere, easy walk of many pubs and restaurants, good chandlery and boat yard services, including me if you want an independent engineer.

About 30 mins to the Hamble spit, it can get busy around the lower marinas but we love it, I have heard the building proposals are on hold for the time being due to the current climate.

They were doing mooring deals if you pay up in advance of 2 years or more, just before the vat hike!

kcrane

Visit site
We've been at Swanwick for 12 months.

Pros
Easy access from motorway.
Just busy enough for there to be people around but rarely too crowded.
Wide fairways and long pontoons.
Friendly and helpful staff.
Fuel at cost on site.
Reasonably secure.
Easy car parking.
Occasional events, just enough to be interesting, not enough to be a nuisance.
Excellent Princess team on-site (OK, so we have a Princess, so it matters to us).
Plenty of support services.
Volvopaul a stone's throw away
Pleasant walks along riverbank.
Jolly Sailor on the other side.
Average cost.
Other forumites around, either resident or visiting.
Princess PDI centre, so constant stream of new V62's to dream about.

Cons
About 30mins to open throttles (but your engines warm up)
About 30mins to berthing (but your engines cool down)
Some tide on the the outer berths nearer the middle of the river.
The river can be busy (but rarely problematic).
Average cost.
Other forumites around.
Fuel berth is tucked away.
There are plans for changes (but they keep you informed).

Hope that helps.

Resolution

Visit site
Paul
I have worked at Swanwick and my yacht is currently there. I am happy to endorse the positive comments on Premier's management of the marina, they are pretty efficient and genuinely helpful.
Regarding the location, comparing with Hamble Point, Port Hamble and Mercury, the extra time spent tooling up and down the river is roughly offset by the time saved in not driving down that awful road to Hamble. Plus you can park easily at Swanwick, while parking in Hamble is a nightmare.

Other threads that may be of interest