Swansea Yacht and Sub-Aqua Club Members?

Richard_Peevor

Visit site
Good evening all?

Now my house is slowly getting sorted and the boat is arriving in 2 weeks I am keen to get back into sailing mode!

Just wondering about popping into the Swansea Yacht club for a look around as may consider applying for membership.

I cant find my earlier post that had posts from members offering to meet up for a beer..

Any one out there a member of the club?

Richarc

Richard_Peevor

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
i think you have to live in a 30 mile radius to join club !!

[/ QUOTE ]

I presume you saw my profile? I've been posting on here quite a bit about my move to wales.. house and boat... The YBW.com wasnt the highest priority on my list of things to change the address of..

I will change it now.

Sneds

Visit site
Why do you have live within a certain geographical area to join a sailing club?

Only asking as it seems a bit of a daft rule /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Richard_Peevor

Visit site
Hi Nicki

Thanks for your post. The move went went really well - albeit about three months later than the ideal date!

I decided on over land transport. I had the annual leave and crew to move her round by sea but I have to plan my time off six weeks in advance so had the weather been poor I would have had to leave her somewhere enroute with the bills mounting etc until I could get back to her. If it had been the summer there would have been no doubts about what I'd have done. I considered waiting until spring but that didnt make sense as I had taken up my berth in Swansea as of November. Getting her round sooner means I can get on with some jobs... that hatch.. Nicki can I use some more of your advice in due course?

Richard

Anwen

Visit site
The Swansea club have a fairly good sized "marina" with pontoons on the River Tawe. Their berths are a fair bit cheaper than those in the Marina proper, so they had a lot of members who lived a long way away and were in it just for the cheap berth rather than being full and active members of the club. So, they imposed the radius rule. "This is a local club for local people" in League of Gentleman speak.

Me, I'm in the Marina, as I don't have the time to do club type things, although I'm tempted to join Barry Sailing Club, as a lot of my sailing friends are members there.

Jon

wotayottie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you have live within a certain geographical area to join a sailing club?

Only asking as it seems a bit of a daft rule /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Newport Uskmouth have a similar rule, albeit not so formalised. Comes about because they want members to join in the club rather than treat it as a marina and expect everybody else to do the work. This particularly applies to looking after the boats, checking mooring lines in gales etc.

Jinks

Visit site
Hi Richard

We're in phase 1 at Swansea and no more than a 5 minute walk from the club. Although I've never joined it certainly isn't unusual for me to pop in for a beer or something to eat and no-one has ever challenged me about it. As is usual with this type of place, as someone who isn't known to the patrons it can seem a bit 'cliquey' but I've never had anyone be rude or ignorant to me.

They do have a number of events over the course of the year which are probably a good way of getting to know the fraternity so I'd suggest going in (you certainly don't need to be a member to get a beer), having a look at the notice board and striking up a conversation to see if it suits you.

I'm probably going to be down next saturday for most of the day so feel free to pm me and I'll give you my mobile number if you wish to meet up.

Cheers