suzuki 2.5 4 stroke problem.

viago

Visit site
i'm sure this has been discussed many times but i never find the search facility works very well.

newish engine, 20 hrs or so i guess.

starts easily with choke, after a few minutes ticks over beautifully, quiet and sweet. pick up great and pushes the tender along at a fair old pace.

after fifteen minutes or so it loses power and stalls, will not start without choke, which is very odd. starts with choke and will tick over when pushed in but try to rev it up and it stalls.

luckily it would push the the tender against the tide just on tick over or i'd have been rowing. it would have been funny to watch me weaving my way along like a spider on lsd but not too pleasant to do and a massive crowd would have immediately materialised to watch me drag the tender up the slipway with my face rigidly looking at the ground.

all ideas and piss taking gratefully accepted.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Row the dinghy back to shore. Remove outboard and place adjacent to marina skip. Search eBay or gumtree for decent looking old 2 stroke outboard. Problem solved.
Seriously, I had no end of problems with mine the extent that I sold it on eBay and bought a Mariner 2.5 2 stroke. Someone will be along shortly to tell you how to drill out something and clean the other thing and it’ll be fine. I decided life was too short to be bothered with the wretched thing, oh, and the Admiral couldn’t start it either.

steve66

N/A
Visit site
Here is a few things to check
Is it pumping water ok?
Is the vent on the tank open
Check the fuel strainer isn't blocked or any links in the fuel line.
Run it in a tub whilst on dry land, as soon as it stalls take the plug out and that should give you an idea where the fault is. If the tip is white is starved of fuel/weak mixture. If it's black it's overfueled , possible dirty needle valve. If it's wet with water the head gasket is blowing.

jeanpaulcopie

Visit site
I've had quite the same trouble with mine, till I had it serviced. Then fine! Then a year later new trouble! Had it serviced again.! In fact came from the fuel strainer and/or fuel line. A friend told me to use a special type of petrol sold for four stoke engines in garden centres (used for lawn mowers etc...) . Never had trouble since! A bit expensive, but cheaper than the service! Trouble apparently due to the "95" grade petrol when in tank for a few months...

Ian_Edwards

Visit site
I'd ignore the suggestion to skip the Suzuki 2.5, if looked after they are very reliable.

I have two and the older one must but around 10 years old and both have been very reliable. They start 1st or 2nd pull, even after been stored in the garage all winter.

Both have had their power head under water when the dinghy has flipped in strong winds, but stripping and cleaning the carb', changing the oil, carefully cleaning and spraying the power head with AFC10, not forgetting the recoil spring, has restored both engines to full working order.

However, as has often been noted on this forum all small modern outboards have very small jets which can get blocked. The key seems to be, be very careful with the fuel and ensure it is clean and has no water in it ( I'm regularly using last years fuel, kept in and airtight can, so I don't but the always use new fuel argument). You also have to empty the carburetor bowl of fuel if you leave the outboard for more than a week or so, you must use the drain screw on the base of the bowl, running it dry isn't enough. If you don't the bowl will collect a sticky mess in the bottom of the bowl, left as the fuel evaporates and that'll gum up the jets.

Your problem really sound like the air vent on the fuel tank isn't open, or it's block, or there's blockage in the fuel line, or even a bit of debris in the carb' bowl. The symptoms are exactly what I get when I forget to open the tank vent, which I have to admit has become a more frequent occurrence as I get older.:confused:

The engines will run for a surprisingly long time on a carb' full of fuel, enough to get me about half way from the boat to the pontoon.

BelleSerene

Visit site
I have it too. The carb is so tiny that any problem in your fuel can block the minuscule jet. That includes buggy stuff wot I don’t pretend to understand caused by water in your fuel or by stale fuel. Water in your fuel often originates from the Jerry can you used to get the fuel to the engine.

1. Empty and clean your Jerry can. Empty and clean the plastic kidney-shaped tank in the engine. Start again with fresh fuel.
2. If that doesn’t do it you’ll have to strip the carb and clean the jets with the tiniest wire you can imagine and/ or an air jet. It’s a tediously standard job for a marine mechanic.
3. As the season passes, keep remembering (1).
4. When you store the outboard, first close the fuel cock and run it dry, or even better, install a drain tube from the pipe at the bottom of the carb.
5. I now use a ‘Mr Funnel’ filter & water separator twixt Jerry can and engine, to prevent condensation in the can from adding water to the tank.

Most threads on this forum that aren’t about choice of anchor are about fuel problems in the DF2.5.

viago

Visit site
I have it too. The carb is so tiny that any problem in your fuel can block the minuscule jet. That includes buggy stuff wot I don’t pretend to understand caused by water in your fuel or by stale fuel. Water in your fuel often originates from the Jerry can you used to get the fuel to the engine.

1. Empty and clean your Jerry can. Empty and clean the plastic kidney-shaped tank in the engine. Start again with fresh fuel.
2. If that doesn’t do it you’ll have to strip the carb and clean the jets with the tiniest wire you can imagine and/ or an air jet. It’s a tediously standard job for a marine mechanic.
3. As the season passes, keep remembering (1).
4. When you store the outboard, first close the fuel cock and run it dry, or even better, install a drain tube from the pipe at the bottom of the carb.
5. I now use a ‘Mr Funnel’ filter & water separator twixt Jerry can and engine, to prevent condensation in the can from adding water to the tank.

Most threads on this forum that aren’t about choice of anchor are about fuel problems in the DF2.5.

this was a sea trial after a previous failure. all servicing done, new fuel, new oil, carb flushed new plug,

run fine in the garage but wanted to test it under load. then it failed again.

still under warranty so best to just take it in to a service centre and tell them to sort it.

peterf

Visit site
Not saying this will fix it, but when I had a similar problem on the same engine I discovered a manufacturing fault in the fuel tap where the rubber within the tap hadn't formed properly and was restricting fuel. They way I discovered this was to disconnect fuel pipe from the Carb, open the fuel tank and watch the fuel come out. (it didn't come out fast enough, hence realising it was blocked somewhere)

snowbird30ds

Norfolk broads based, coast when time allows.
Visit site
On mine I fitted a short length of pipe to the drain outlet so the fuel didn't collect in the cowling and stink.
Don't take it to ely in cambs. to get fixed what ever you do, they had mine apart and couldn't get any compression, took me 5 minutes to spot the cam timing a mile out just by looking at the rocker arms, they seemed surprised to discover the manual mentioned some marks needed aligning, once the case was opened the marks were incredibly obvious. (they are supposed to be an official dealer! sounds like "anchors")

The fuel mentioned is called aspen, I use it in a chainsaw that was always having stale fuel issues but now goes cleanly straight off every time, £20 for 5l though.

Visit site
i'm sure this has been discussed many times but i never find the search facility works very well.

newish engine, 20 hrs or so i guess.

starts easily with choke, after a few minutes ticks over beautifully, quiet and sweet. pick up great and pushes the tender along at a fair old pace.

after fifteen minutes or so it loses power and stalls, will not start without choke, which is very odd. starts with choke and will tick over when pushed in but try to rev it up and it stalls.

luckily it would push the the tender against the tide just on tick over or i'd have been rowing. it would have been funny to watch me weaving my way along like a spider on lsd but not too pleasant to do and a massive crowd would have immediately materialised to watch me drag the tender up the slipway with my face rigidly looking at the ground.

all ideas and piss taking gratefully accepted.

have a look at your choke cable / mechanism and see if its corroded or not quite retracting back correctly when pushed in, or could be air breather blocked?

if its under warranty id let the dealer sort it out though :)

Iain C

Visit site
Have a look at the plug. If it quickly becomes a grey brown colour with loads of deposits, very soon after cleaning, the head gasket is gone. It may not necessarily show any traces of water.

If it's carb related, the best way to clean the carb is ultrasonically. I'd echo the comments about fuel...my outboard place was saying they can get tempramental when fuel is literally a few WEEKS old!!

I'd also echo the comments about a skip. I had mine from new, and it was fine for years, and then became a bit of a nightmare. I now have a Tohatsu 3.5 which is a wonderful bit of kit by comparison.

steve66

N/A
Visit site
No, there's only one suzuki agent in ely.....
I'm being good and not naming them but the location gives it away, I copied their emails in to suzuki uk once I found out how incompetent they are, I did get my £90 back from them though.

You would be surprised how much some actual main dealers mechanics know about repairing an engine. I have countless engines from main dealers with trivial faults that take seconds and pennies to rectify. Blocked carbs are the usual one, a recent one was an engine that was scrapped due to a kinked breather pipe that was causing back pressure forcing oil past the rings. Unfortunately your days of grease monkey mechanics are being taken over by fitters

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
You would be surprised how much some actual main dealers mechanics know about repairing an engine. I have countless engines from main dealers with trivial faults that take seconds and pennies to rectify. Blocked carbs are the usual one, a recent one was an engine that was scrapped due to a kinked breather pipe that was causing back pressure forcing oil past the rings. Unfortunately your days of grease monkey mechanics are being taken over by fitters

Nowadays, most dealers have "replacement machanics" instead of "repair mechanics". Same applies with car carages. My Suzuki 2.5 hp has been trouble free so far but its only matter of time before I get carb problems.