Survival technique?

G

A chap has done some research and found that you can drink one and a half pints of sea-water a day with no ill effects. I guess that means you might not go mad. Also did you know that Corn Flakes have more salt in them than sea-water? Two factoids for the price of one. TTFN.

feathers

Visit site
I managed to put salt on my cornflakes instead of suger a while back, no wonder I was getting weird looks in the office for a couple of days. Now get me out of this place and on a boat - I'm going mad - again!

Nicolas

Visit site
Are you talking of ALain Bombard (French Doctor I think)?

He decided to prove that you could survive in the ocean without anything, and went volontarily on a life raft and crossed the atlantic like that (63 days).

He found out that you may drink a certain amount of sea water and setted some rules as not more than a certain amount, no more that 5 consecutive days...

Had some articles in French, but cannot find any good link now
maybe that one?
worth a look (I'm sure there is a book as well)

http://www.logicsouth.com/~lcoble/bible/sea1.html

Nicolas

martinb

Visit site
The book is titled 'The Bombard Story' ISBN 0-246-13038-5.
He set out to prove that a castaway could survive for long periods without additional supplies. At the time statistics showed that 90% of shipwrecked sailors, even after reaching the safety of a lifeboat, died within three days at sea.
Interesting reading!

Martin

peterk

Visit site
hi,
there is a big difference between drinking
a cup and a half of sea water TOGETHER with a regular fresh water ration
(minus the cup and a half)

or one and a half cups of sea water ONLY.

3 years ago in the Pacific I got to the point of trying my own urine.
It tasted awful, but a day later I gave it a second chance.
Decided it would not help.

I read that the kidneys cannot handle seawater, or urine. alone

...peter, www.juprowa.com/kittel

Col

Visit site
Is he taking the pee??

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/colspics> Cols Picture Album</A>

Viking

Visit site
Read a book by a William Wallis who rafted across the Pacfic and part of his diet was acup of sea water a day. This was in the early 50s. He learnt this, in his days on sailing the tall 'clippers' when he said seaman would take the 'water' has it helped with keeping them 'regular'. Probably something to do with the food on board at the time.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Re: The Bailey Family

From my recollection of the book, read many years ago, they always had a certain amount of fresh (rain) water but some of it became contaminated by salt. The enemas were never 100% seawater, only salty fresh.

Incidentally Marilyn Bailey died last month, age 61.

AndrewB

Visit site
Seven Little Sisters

A good read. This was one of the most desperate voyages ever voluntarily undertaken, on a balsa raft about 5 years after Heyerdahl. He was under survival conditions right from the start, and it got steadily worse, including losing nearly all his fresh water. All the more amazing because he was near blind and had been quite crippled by an accident (something virtually unmentioned in his book).

He didn't try to survive on seawater, though he reckoned it substituted for some fresh.

Opinionated

Visit site
wow, impressed am I.

Won't get into any tangles with you about survival. But boat-cleaning, I reckon we can have a good argy about that!!

Good luck, will join you soon.

(I don't have to agree with YOUR opinions, but I'll defend your right to express them).