Sunday morning in Inverness

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
How long were you out?

I didn't get out until just after mid day, when there was just enough breeze to just about get my boat moving under wind power.

I don't suppose you got any pics of the 3 or 4 raggies out and about then?

Did you see the dolphins?

Last edited:

richlear

We went up to Chanonry point, arrived there pretty early, maybe around 0930. Went along to Rosemarkie before heading home, back in the marina around 1130, Plenty of dolphns around but all very close inshore at the point. Couple of seals on the way home. Did not see any sailboats around, will try to get some more pics next time. Cheers Rich

Spare Thyme

We were out at 8:30, perfect day lots of dolphins and bagged 8 mackerel just off Cromarty that we bbq'd on the hook before returning at 15:00, just as we drove off we noticed a small sailboat being pulled off the outer bank by RNLI, any one have any details?

Spare Thyme

image.jpg

How do you rotate?

image.jpg

Our best fishing spot, last red Chanel marker before Cromerty

ProDave

We were out at 8:30, perfect day lots of dolphins and bagged 8 mackerel just off Cromarty that we bbq'd on the hook before returning at 15:00, just as we drove off we noticed a small sailboat being pulled off the outer bank by RNLI, any one have any details?

Which bank? Skate or Riff?

Didn't see anything myself, but my battery had decided to die so I had no VHF reception.

Spare Thyme

It looked like Meikle Mee just off the Longman point marker, we spotted it just as we were passing the stadium on the way back to Aberdeen around 16:00. The Kessock lifeboat was there with a couple of the RNLI crew on the boat. We go out a lot and I am sure the position of Meikle moves, a lot at low tide I always stay close to the Longman beacon around there

Divemaster1

Heard you going out Rich ... and spoke to John later....

I was out doing some maneuvering practice with Glorifinda II and saw Lewchi coming back in ... (reminder to bring camera)... moved up river to let you in again...

Up again next WE and may leave our temporary berth to play enjoy the area...

richlear

Hi Alf,

Saw her in the river as we came back in and wondered if you were on board. We were doing a little berthing practice just as you came back in to the marina, turning around just between navigator & Urania. Lovely day for it!

Maybe up this W/E if the weather is kind

Cheers

ProDave

Should be at least three of us here in the same marina;

Spare Thyme
Lewchi
Navigator

... and know that a couple of others with pointy, sticky up thingies are around the same area as well..

Yes indeed. My boat is in Avoch, and I know of a mobo owner at Fortrose that frequents this forum.

Re the Kessock Lb, yes they were called out to a yacht aground half a mile from the bridge.

Last edited:

rbmatthews

Yes indeed. My boat is in Avoch, and I know of a mobo owner at Fortrose that frequents this forum.

It's obviously the place to be. We left our little boat in Avoch between weekends a couple of weeks ago on our way up to Portmahomack and Dornoch Firth. Nice little harbour. Picture at https://shetlandf4.wordpress.com/latest-news/. Maybe one of the boats is yours, ProDave? I am still trying to find time to write up the rest of the trip.

ProDave

It's obviously the place to be. We left our little boat in Avoch between weekends a couple of weeks ago on our way up to Portmahomack and Dornoch Firth. Nice little harbour. Picture at https://shetlandf4.wordpress.com/latest-news/. Maybe one of the boats is yours, ProDave? I am still trying to find time to write up the rest of the trip.

You just got the stern of my boat in your second picture, at the left of the picture, opposite side of the pontoon to your boat.

I understand Penelope Keith now has the Bistro in Rosemarkie, so I don't know if her planned restaurant in Avoch will ever happen.

P.S I never knew about the pavilion tea room, I must give that a try.

Last edited:

AndieMac

Re the Kessock Lb, yes they were called out to a yacht aground half a mile from the bridge.

We have family in Inverness ProDave, and go there quite often. Sometimes stay with a cousin in Balblair (Black Isle), noticed you are from Alness, just across the Cromarty.

ProDave

We have family in Inverness ProDave, and go there quite often. Sometimes stay with a cousin in Balblair (Black Isle), noticed you are from Alness, just across the Cromarty.

That's right we are just outside Alness. A 20 mile / half hour journey to get to the boat at Avoch.

If you like Scotland and want to emigrate, our house is for sale. ;)