summer holiday cruise

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
Just returned from our 12 day cruise up river to Abingdon and back, so thought I would post some photos.

Cookham

boat%20holiday%202015%20005.jpg

slightly different cruiser at Bourne End

boat%20holiday%202015%20007.jpg

busy lock at Hambleden

boat%20holiday%202015%20010.jpg

boat%20holiday%202015%20011.jpg

Passing the regatta at Henley

boat%20holiday%202015%20019.jpg

boat%20holiday%202015%20021.jpg

boat%20holiday%202015%20022.jpg

boat%20holiday%202015%20025.jpg

boat%20holiday%202015%20028.jpg

boat%20holiday%202015%20031.jpg

TrueBlue

Visit site
What an absolutely super collection of pictures.
Should be posted on to EA (or other website) to attract more folks to use the River.

Actionmat

Visit site
Smashing pics, thanks for sharing.

I wondered where that 'orange cruiser' had moved to:D. It's gone through an awful lot of locks for a boat with no licence

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
was that you Bryon, I saw asleep on a ride on mower by the waters edge of your property or was that your gardener? We had moored up breifly to pop into the Beetle & Wedge to see about future stops there.

byron

RIP
Visit site
was that you Bryon, I saw asleep on a ride on mower by the waters edge of your property or was that your gardener? We had moored up breifly to pop into the Beetle & Wedge to see about future stops there.
That was me. I often go down there to read my Kindle and nod off, it's so peaceful.
Incidentally that isn't a Mower it's something called a 'Gator' made by John Deere. They are used by Farmers, Shepherds, Gamekeepers and so on.

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
"Incidentally that isn't a Mower it's something called a 'Gator' made by John Deere. They are used by Farmers, Shepherds, Gamekeepers and so on. "

from the way you were 'riding' it, it looked more like a sunlounger !!

Flynnbarr

Visit site
"Incidentally that isn't a Mower it's something called a 'Gator' made by John Deere. They are used by Farmers, Shepherds, Gamekeepers and so on. "

from the way you were 'riding' it, it looked more like a sunlounger !!

:D
Fab pics.thanks for posting.

Cashbuyer

Visit site
How sad to see Beale Park moorings in that sorry state. We used to moor there, with my parents many moons ago, and the grass was always well tended and cut back to a depth of at least 15-20 feet from the bank and for about 300yds which made for fabulous mooring. No nettles in sight...
Many happy memories of our time on that part of the river and so much more relaxed and attractive than downriver.

joejo

Visit site
Smashing pics, thanks for sharing.

I wondered where that 'orange cruiser' had moved to:D. It's gone through an awful lot of locks for a boat with no licence

+1 for great pictures. Thank you

We to saw the orange craft approaching Henley on Sunday. By Tuesday it was moored at Walton Bridge. On the grounds that on Sunday all the locks were manned and the vessel is not unobtrusive either it has a licence or it slipped through all those locks un noticed?

DogsBody

Visit site
Beale Park have certainly cut back on maintenance on their river frontage and have also closed the riverside entrance to the park.

Now, if you moor and wish to visit the park (which is a nice way to spend a few hours on a sunny day), you have to walk down a narrow, muddy path, with brambles / nettles on one side and an electrified fence on the other, round to the main entrance.

No real issue with them not cutting the grass on the river frontage, or closing the riverside entrance (suspect it saw so little use as to be impracticable to staff) but at least they could make the pathway a little more inviting, so as to encourage rather than discourage visitors.

DogsBody

Visit site
Great pictures, thanks for posting them. Looks like you had some nice weather too, which also helps.

Hoping to head up that way ourselves in a few weeks all being well.

Re the Beetle & Wedge, we stopped there in May, service was great but the steaks were not up to their previous standards and it seems they cook them in a kitchen out the back now, rather than on the charcoal grill in the restaurant. Duck starter was delicious though, tempted to try it for a main course next time I'm there.