Suggestions please for a good seaworthy family cruiser for the South coast....

Fimacca

Visit site
Looking to upgrade from my Jag 25 to something with better handling and more space below. And the wife suggested an upgrade after a nice sunny trip to Dartmouth for 4 days last week! (so best I get on to it before she changes her mind !)

Looked briefly at moody 31 and Hunter horizon 30. The Hunter looked lighter than the Moody. I want something robust, but not too old. 1986 ish onwards. (may be a difficult balance...)

Size can go to about 34 feet. Money, perhaps 30k.

Any suggestions ?

Wansworth

Visit site
First decide where you are going to keep it and decide what type of sailing you enjoy eg drying out in creeks or bashing to windward....... and probable half your budget will be needed for up grades etc if you do it by the book.

V1701

Visit site
Massively a buyers market, see what comes up on yachtworld, apollo duck,, anything with asking price up to 40k. There's so much to choose from, go & see lots of boats, see what takes your fancy. You could have a very nice older boat for that sort of budget or a much more modern one. Happy days...

Fimacca

Visit site
Sailed a fulmar extensively around the west of Scotland. Nice for sailing, but prob need a more Gucci cabin area to keep her indoors happy. I am interested in the sails and keels, she in the wash basin and heads ! Priorities.......

Fimacca

Visit site
Did find an oceanis 350..... Looks the part. How do they sail, anyone know ?

French.........hope their boat electrics better than their car electrics........

matt1

Visit site
Looking to upgrade from my Jag 25 to something with better handling and more space below. And the wife suggested an upgrade after a nice sunny trip to Dartmouth for 4 days last week! (so best I get on to it before she changes her mind !)

Looked briefly at moody 31 and Hunter horizon 30. The Hunter looked lighter than the Moody. I want something robust, but not too old. 1986 ish onwards. (may be a difficult balance...)

Size can go to about 34 feet. Money, perhaps 30k.

Any suggestions ?

How about this from 2002? Ridiculously cheap. PM me if you want further info on the model

http://www.boatshop24.co.uk/sailboat/british-hunter-channel-31/39252

Aardee

Visit site
Did find an oceanis 350..... Looks the part. How do they sail, anyone know ?

French.........hope their boat electrics better than their car electrics........

I can't speak for the Oceanis 350, but I've sailed hundreds of miles on her bigger sister the 390 - For me, it's a great compromise boat. SWMBO will be impressed by the "domestic arrangements", and the 390 certainly sailed really well. Fortunately, French boats don't seem to suffer the electrical malaises of French cars ;)

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
>Did find an oceanis 350..... Looks the part. How do they sail, anyone know ?

We sailed lots of those when chartering plus 36 foot Jeanneaus. A Benneteau is better offwind and a Jenneau is better upwind because it has a deeper keel and a narrower stern.

RobF

Visit site
I had the same dilemma and went for a Jeanneau 29.2. Wife likes it, it's easy to sail and you should be able to find a good one for about £30k. This gives a bit of spare cash for the inevitable upgrades / rectifications that need will need to be done on the boat.

southseaian

Visit site
Look at Jeanneau, Benneteau, Gibsea , French boats which tend to wear better down below due to the 'factory build' methods used such moulded internal linings and more mechanised production methods. The styling generally tends to be more modern and brighter, but that may be a matter of taste.
Earlier British boats tended to be more hand built. For example construction methods often low tech. For example vinyl stuck on bulk heads and deck heads. This can be a bit grim when yellowed and peeling. Avoid the Sadlers with sandwiched foam hull, leaks are very difficult to cure and the foam may be disintegrating. Even later Starlights had problems.
Yes some Westerly designs are good but lay up and build problems are common no doubt partly due to the stop start nature of the companies finances.
You must get a hull survey at the very least to avoid buying a boat which has had or has osmosis. But very cautious of buying a boat which has been treated.
Enjoy what ever you choose and expect to spend, spend, spend..............

Boz

Visit site
Go Westerly young man - go Westerly

Trust me - go for comfort rather than performance, most of the French Boats in that size range have caves for cabins - look for a decent Master cabin it makes all the difference

unless of course, you want to race?

Last edited:

Fimacca

Visit site
thank you all for suggestions. there are so many options, I need to get her indoors out and about looking at a few (and hide the price) . racing - not for me - but I like a good turn of speed to make me grin leaning well over (but not when the kids are on board). I like the french style, but the older british tank build quality too for those rolling waves we had recently on the south coast
cabin layouts below are surprisingly similar on most models this size.............
HR352's - yummy........
Storm is nice
Mg 335 look fast
Anything else I should consider not mentioned ?
Many hours of searching to do!