Stolen outboard

Dan Tribe

Visit site
Burnham Sailing Club have had their rescue boat outboard stolen last weekend.
If anyone sees or is offered a 50HP Yamaha serial nr 6C2L100299K please contact the club or police.
I was going to post this on the stolen boats page but not sure anyone visits there anymore.

Marmalade

Visit site
As R says - Bastids. We had a load stolen from our sailing club a few years back - just before cadet week. Kindly local clubs helped us out at the time. The police said that they steal to order and the engines will be in a container leaving Felixstowe in hours even.

DavidofMersea

Visit site
Burnham Sailing Club have had their rescue boat outboard stolen last weekend.
If anyone sees or is offered a 50HP Yamaha serial nr 6C2L100299K please contact the club or police.
I was going to post this on the stolen boats page but not sure anyone visits there anymore.

A word of warning, often these people come back to steal the replacement ... I speak as a retired insurance broker and a former member of the Clacton Sailing Club who had their replacement outboard stolen

Last edited:

Dan Tribe

Visit site
A word of warning, often these people come back to steal the replacement ... I speak as a retired insurance broker and a former member of the Clacton Sailing Club who had their replacement outboard stolen

Valid comment, thanks. I will raise it with the committee. What the insurance can't replace is the disappointment caused by cancellation of kids training.

pvb

Visit site
The police said that they steal to order and the engines will be in a container leaving Felixstowe in hours even.

If the police know that, why can't they do something about it? Or is it just an excuse so that the police don't have to do anything?

I had an almost new BMW 7-series stolen from my drive one Friday night. The police said exactly the same thing - "it'd be in a container on its way to Africa by now". It wasn't, it was still in the UK, then used for a serious robbery, then torched on the edge of a field in Cambridgeshire.

Marmalade

Visit site
We were advised to:
i) get a stronger place to store our support boats and engines
ii) distress the engines - ie paint them bright orange - fine for a support boat but not very re-sellable and thus not very nickable

We also invested in CCTV around the site which has proved very useful on a number of occasions since
Nothing will stop the absolutely determined thief but these measures have proved OK so far.

pvb

Visit site
We also invested in CCTV around the site which has proved very useful on a number of occasions since
Nothing will stop the absolutely determined thief but these measures have proved OK so far.

After my car was stolen I got CCTV installed, covering drive areas as well as the house. One morning we found a number of broken ceramic planters in the drive. Looking at the CCTV, we saw a guy had been smashing them in the night. He'd also tried to break in to a car and, best of all, had pissed on the side of the car. We had it all on CCTV and were even able to identify the guy - he lived in a rented cottage nearby. Got the police round, showed them the CCTV, told them where the guy lived. They did nothing, they said he was "care in the community" and they couldn't prosecute.

Dan Tribe

Visit site
After my car was stolen I got CCTV installed, covering drive areas as well as the house. One morning we found a number of broken ceramic planters in the drive. Looking at the CCTV, we saw a guy had been smashing them in the night. He'd also tried to break in to a car and, best of all, had pissed on the side of the car. We had it all on CCTV and were even able to identify the guy - he lived in a rented cottage nearby. Got the police round, showed them the CCTV, told them where the guy lived. They did nothing, they said he was "care in the community" and they couldn't prosecute.

Coincidentally to my original post, a sailing club I belonged to also had an outboard stolen some years ago. A member noticed it in a back garden of a house next door to where he was working. Rather than visit with some of his rugby club mates to reclaim it he informed the police. After a while we hadn't heard anything so followed up with police. They said they had investigated the allegation but decided no further action. How did they investigate?
An officer was sent and asked "do you have a stolen outboard?"
"No"
Investigation closed.

Last edited:

PeterWright

Visit site
Hi,

I find the police inaction described in the last two posts a very sad reflection on where we are with law enforcement. Criminal activity is now so unlikely to result in a real penalty that the criminals are learning, by experience, that there are no consequences and become repeat offenders. By the time a significant sentence is passed, it's the fourth or fifth offence and the learning from the earlier experience is deeply engrained.

Sociologists then do research on the effectiveness of custodial sentences and conclude that they don't prevent further re offending. I believe their conclusion is wrong and it's the overall pattern of no real penalty for the first few offences, rather than the custodial sentence, that engrains criminality, resulting in repeat offending.

I do not believe ASBOs, community service and tagging and suspended sentences help reduce criminal activity in our society.

Lastly, I don't believe it's so much the police to blame for all this. Even when they put a lot of work into building a case to the high standard required for the CPS to prosecute, the courts hand out ineffective sentences. Is it any wonder that the police wonder why they bothered?

(steps down from pulpit, sorry)

Peter.

ltcom

Visit site
Hi,

I find the police inaction described in the last two posts a very sad reflection on where we are with law enforcement. Criminal activity is now so unlikely to result in a real penalty that the criminals are learning, by experience, that there are no consequences and become repeat offenders. By the time a significant sentence is passed, it's the fourth or fifth offence and the learning from the earlier experience is deeply engrained.

Sociologists then do research on the effectiveness of custodial sentences and conclude that they don't prevent further re offending. I believe their conclusion is wrong and it's the overall pattern of no real penalty for the first few offences, rather than the custodial sentence, that engrains criminality, resulting in repeat offending.

I do not believe ASBOs, community service and tagging and suspended sentences help reduce criminal activity in our society.

Lastly, I don't believe it's so much the police to blame for all this. Even when they put a lot of work into building a case to the high standard required for the CPS to prosecute, the courts hand out ineffective sentences. Is it any wonder that the police wonder why they bothered?

(steps down from pulpit, sorry)

Peter.
I believe you. Probably why police go for easy targets such as on spot fines road violations and the like. Will this lead to vigilantism though in respect of the crimes the police dont act upon? Public policing the laws?

CLB

Visit site
Will this lead to vigilantism though in respect of the crimes the police dont act upon? Public policing the laws?

I believe it will. Our local Facebook group is full of CCTV images and films of local scroats up to no good, and responses from the local plod that there is nothing they can do. These criminals will be identified and the right/wrong person will take matters into their own hands. Annoyingly, when they do, I bet plod will be down on them like a ton of bricks.

DavidofMersea

Visit site
Sociologists then do research on the effectiveness of custodial sentences and conclude that they don't prevent further re offending.

I had friend who was a Police Officer, and he was the minimum height to get into the Police force. I asked him one day if he were not scared of some 6 foot plus villain he was arresting.. He told me that they don't worry about those because prison is probably better than their homes .... and I think that is the problem. Prison is too soft, and not really much of a deterrent to many that get convicted, it ought to be the most horrible place they have ever been

Cobra

Visit site
Prison is too soft, and not really much of a deterrent to many that get convicted, it ought to be the most horrible place they have ever been
One of my clients is a Senior Prison Manager. They also feel that conditions in Prisons are far too soft for the majority of the quote "noxious little scroats who we have to treat with respect as it may violate their human rights". As my client says, these little gits are not too bothered about the poor sod whose human rights they have violated, but they get put inside and they expect to be waited on hand and foot.
IMHO the entire penal system needs reform:
1) First offence against property or GBH/ABH but non murder - substantial fine and a minimum of 96 hours community service to be served in consecutive days sorting waste at a council waste site.
2) Second offence against property or GBH/ABH minimum of 3 years National Service in a front line role. That would hopefully concentrate their thinking a bit.
3) Murder - No 'smoking gun' - Life imprisonment with a minimum term of 20 years with basic facilities and basic food. No access to internet or television but allowed 30 minutes Radio 4 news programmes a day.
4) Murder - 'smoking gun' A life for a life!

Yes, I know I am an old softie but I think attitudes would improve somewhat dramatically.

Cobra

Visit site
wouldn't 30 mins of radio 4 each day amount to cruel and inhuman punishment?

In the words of the great WS Gilbert

A more humane Mikado never
Did in Japan exist,
To nobody second,
I'm certainly reckoned
A true philanthropist.
It is my very humane endeavour
To make, to some extent,
Each evil liver
A running river
Of harmless merriment.

My object all sublime
I shall achieve in time —
To let the punishment fit the crime —
The punishment fit the crime;
And make each prisoner pent
Unwillingly represent
A source of innocent merriment!
Of innocent merriment!

All prosy dull society sinners,
Who chatter and bleat and bore,
Are sent to hear sermons
From mystical Germans
Who preach from ten till four.
The amateur tenor, whose vocal villainies
All desire to shirk,
Shall, during off-hours,
Exhibit his powers
To Madame Tussaud's waxwork.

The lady who dyes a chemical yellow
Or stains her grey hair puce,
Or pinches her figure,
Is painted with vigour,
With permanent walnut juice.
The idiot who, in railway carriages,
Scribbles on window-panes,
We only suffer
To ride on a buffer
In Parliamentary trains.

My object all sublime
Unwillingly represent
Of innocent merriment!

Chorus:
His object all sublime
He will achieve in time —
Unwillingly represent
Of innocent merriment!

Mikado:
The advertising quack who wearies
With tales of countless cures,
His teeth, I've enacted,
Shall all be extracted
By terrified amateurs.
The music-hall singer attends a series
Of masses and fugues and "ops"
By Bach, interwoven
With Spohr and Beethoven,
At classical Monday Pops.

The billiard sharp who any one catches,
His doom's extremely hard —
He's made to dwell —
In a dungeon cell
On a spot that's always barred.
And there he plays extravagant matches
In fitless finger-stalls
On a cloth untrue
With a twisted cue
And elliptical billiard balls!

My object all sublime
Unwillingly represent
Of innocent merriment!

Chorus:
His object all sublime
Unwillingly represent
Of innocent merriment!

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
"Something humourous and lingering, with boiling oil or melted lead" seems to be appropriate for people who steal esential yachting equipment!

In the words of the great WS Gilbert

A more humane Mikado never
Did in Japan exist,
To nobody second,
I'm certainly reckoned
A true philanthropist.
It is my very humane endeavour
To make, to some extent,
Each evil liver
A running river
Of harmless merriment.

My object all sublime
Unwillingly represent
Of innocent merriment!

All prosy dull society sinners,
Who chatter and bleat and bore,
Are sent to hear sermons
From mystical Germans
Who preach from ten till four.
The amateur tenor, whose vocal villainies
All desire to shirk,
Shall, during off-hours,
Exhibit his powers
To Madame Tussaud's waxwork.

The lady who dyes a chemical yellow
Or stains her grey hair puce,
Or pinches her figure,
Is painted with vigour,
With permanent walnut juice.
The idiot who, in railway carriages,
Scribbles on window-panes,
We only suffer
To ride on a buffer
In Parliamentary trains.

My object all sublime
Unwillingly represent
Of innocent merriment!

Chorus:
His object all sublime
Unwillingly represent
Of innocent merriment!

Mikado:
The advertising quack who wearies
With tales of countless cures,
His teeth, I've enacted,
Shall all be extracted
By terrified amateurs.
The music-hall singer attends a series
Of masses and fugues and "ops"
By Bach, interwoven
With Spohr and Beethoven,
At classical Monday Pops.

The billiard sharp who any one catches,
His doom's extremely hard —
He's made to dwell —
In a dungeon cell
On a spot that's always barred.
And there he plays extravagant matches
In fitless finger-stalls
On a cloth untrue
With a twisted cue
And elliptical billiard balls!

My object all sublime
Unwillingly represent
Of innocent merriment!

Chorus:
His object all sublime
Unwillingly represent
Of innocent merriment!

Dan Tribe

Visit site
Valid comment, thanks. I will raise it with the committee. What the insurance can't replace is the disappointment caused by cancellation of kids training.

Apparently the insurance co have advised that, if a claim is made, the new premium will be increased by the same amount as the claim, so effectivly not insured.