Stolen Boom from my Sadler 26

xhurleyman

Visit site
Having newly acquired a Sadler 26 and had her transported all the way from North Wales south to Totnes, she was tucked in nicely between much larger boats on Baltic wharf and whilst the mast was with riggers the boom was lashed to my stanchions along the starboard side of my boat. I am uncertain exactly when it went because I built a cockpit enclosure so as to be able to work in the dry and did not go out along the deck. However it must have been in the last month as the boat only arrived in the first week of August.
I cannot understand the mentality of some people and for me being a pensioner it has taken quite some time to be able to afford this boat so its loss is for me an added expense I had not put into the refurbishment programme.

Is there anyone out there who has a boom which would fit and is in good condition and who perhaps lives in Devon or Cornwall. It is listed as 2.59 metres but now I am in this position I am considering one in the region of 2.8 or 2.9 as this although longer than the sail foot would mean I could have my mainsheet angled slightly backwards thereby giving me the opportunity to extend this or a new sprayhood to provide a little more cover above my head.

I doubt the person who committed this crime has a conscience at all otherwise they would not have done this in the first place but if any of you good sailors out there know of someone who had an old boom and now has a nice shiny one especially if it has solid blue and red reefing lines coming out of one end I would very much like to hear from you. I have reported it to the police and have a crime number.

Yours hopefully

Hurleyman

Fantasie 19

Visit site
Having newly acquired a Sadler 26 and had her transported all the way from North Wales south to Totnes, she was tucked in nicely between much larger boats on Baltic wharf and whilst the mast was with riggers the boom was lashed to my stanchions along the starboard side of my boat. I am uncertain exactly when it went because I built a cockpit enclosure so as to be able to work in the dry and did not go out along the deck. However it must have been in the last month as the boat only arrived in the first week of August.
I cannot understand the mentality of some people and for me being a pensioner it has taken quite some time to be able to afford this boat so its loss is for me an added expense I had not put into the refurbishment programme.

Is there anyone out there who has a boom which would fit and is in good condition and who perhaps lives in Devon or Cornwall. It is listed as 2.59 metres but now I am in this position I am considering one in the region of 2.8 or 2.9 as this although longer than the sail foot would mean I could have my mainsheet angled slightly backwards thereby giving me the opportunity to extend this or a new sprayhood to provide a little more cover above my head.

I doubt the person who committed this crime has a conscience at all otherwise they would not have done this in the first place but if any of you good sailors out there know of someone who had an old boom and now has a nice shiny one especially if it has solid blue and red reefing lines coming out of one end I would very much like to hear from you. I have reported it to the police and have a crime number.

Yours hopefully

Hurleyman

What a shi**y thing to do.... :(

I'm assuming no insurance?? For second hand gear I would try the guys on the Chandlery Barge at Hamble

This one is too long but could you cut it down and re-attach the relevant end fitting(s)????

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/yacht-boo...UK_Sporting_Goods_Sailing&hash=item35cc334912

xhurleyman

Visit site
Thanks for your response, I had a look at the one on ebay but have now decided I will have to get a quote for a new one probably a Z spars one with single line reefing.
I did think about insurance as I am covered but it is not worth putting in a claim as I will only have to pay a higher premium in the future so it's a further dig in my pocket job!

Fantasie 19

Visit site
Thanks for your response, I had a look at the one on ebay but have now decided I will have to get a quote for a new one probably a Z spars one with single line reefing.
I did think about insurance as I am covered but it is not worth putting in a claim as I will only have to pay a higher premium in the future so it's a further dig in my pocket job!

Not necessarily... couple of years ago I had a dismasting, claimed heavily, and the following year there was no difference in my premium at all.... either way.. fair winds!

matg

Visit site
Hi,
Sorry to hear about this theft. You should definitely consider making an insurance claim as it's what we pay insurance for. I had my outboard stolen a couple of years back and made a claim. I received enough back to replace the outboard like for like and it did not effect my premium.