Sticky fenders

Wai_Tapu

Visit site
Is there any way of bringing back to a useable condition a fender whose surface has degraded to a tacky magnet for dirt and mud?
On a similar line, I've got some some non-tacky fenders but with deeply ingrained oil and paint stains (from vigorous alongside mooring!). I've got rid of the staining with scouring pads but am now left with a matt finish instead of the original shiny, reasonably impervious, one. I'm concerned that I have gone the first step along the road to stickiness as above. Any tips on what sort of polish to bring the surface back up?

Thanks in advance

Rich

<hr width=100% size=1>

Evadne

Visit site
I've always found that by the time they get to this stage they are leaky as well, so it's time to go beachcombing again. Seriously, you could try
(a) Fender socks
(b) wrapping them with rope to turn them into fake "classic" fenders or
(c) painting with toplac or white inflatable paint if it will stick.
personally, I've not had any go sticky on me so I tend to live with the greyness, bleach them every few years if it gets to me and relax in the knowledge that nobody is ever going to nick them.

<hr width=100% size=1>

maxxi

Visit site
Paint brush cleaner, not paint stripper, does the job. keeping them clean is harder but is helped by the application of a good polish having got rid of all the sticky bits.

<hr width=100% size=1>

andy_wilson

Visit site
Un-Sticky fenders

Two of my old ones were well sticky around the top, where the light had done it's worst.

I used Farecla, which is a fine rubbing compound used in the car refinishing trade. Grade G3 is great for GRP and brought my fenders up like new, stickness disolved away and a shiny finish that repells dirt just like when they were new.

i did this half way through the summer with no sign of a sticky return yet.

<hr width=100% size=1>