Sticking things to bulk heads without making a mess

steveej

Visit site
Good Evening,

I've bought some CO detectors for the forward and aft cabin and would like to attach them above the doors without screwing into the wood.

Does anyone know of any good sticky pads that don't leave a mess or some other way of attaching them.

Would come in useful to attach other things like fire blankets etc.

Cheers
Steve

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I've tried stick-on Velcro for fitting the back rest cushions to the wooden sides and the 'sticky' failed after a year - so stapled them on - and the stick-on piece was twice as long as the bit on the cushion.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I use 3M Dual Lock. All my equipment is held to the internal bulkheads with the stuff. It's like Velcro on steroids. Both strips of Dual Lock are the same so you just buy 1 metre and cut it into two strips as required and you can buy internal and external versions. It's self adhesive and never comes off. When the click the two strips together they lock together with a loud click and, although you can get them apart again, it's never going to happen by accident.

Unlike Velcro, there are no hooks or loops to break so it never wears out.

Richard

steveej

Visit site
Command strips. Easier to remove too...

They look good and look like they would work.

I did buy some 3M removable double backed sticky pads but they werent strong enough. They were about 10mm square and I stuck 7 or 8 on but they both fell off overnight.

steveej

Visit site
I use 3M Dual Lock. All my equipment is held to the internal bulkheads with the stuff. It's like Velcro on steroids. Both strips of Dual Lock are the same so you just buy 1 metre and cut it into two strips as required and you can buy internal and external versions. It's self adhesive and never comes off. When the click the two strips together they lock together with a loud click and, although you can get them apart again, it's never going to happen by accident.

Richard

Have you ever tried removing the side stuck to the bulk head? Does it pull the varnish off?

Last edited:

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Have you ever tried removing the side stuck to the bulk head?

I wipe the surface down with meths before I stick on the Dual Lock as I'm sure that grease would reduce its adhesion but the answer is that I've never actually tried to remove the strip from the bulkhead or the equipment. However, I have removed equipment which has been held in place and you really have to pull it firmly to get it to separate it but the strips have never budged.

I'm sure that you could get it off but it's definitely better to get it in the right place to start with. :)

Richard

Lodesman77

Visit site
They look good and look like they would work.

I did buy some 3M removable double backed sticky pads but they werent strong enough. They were about 10mm square and I stuck 7 or 8 on but they both fell off overnight.

I've used them to hold up moderately heavy picture frames and a mirror on the back of a door - so I think they'd be fine for your use. And they leave no marks when you remove them. Surfaces cleaned with meths to degrease first...

PaulRainbow

Visit site

Richard

:encouragement: Plus lots

This is the stuff that many boat builders use for sticking things together. There are a couple of grades, some random examples of the two main grades ;

This one will stick Co alarms and the like - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-Dual-...-Self-Adhesive-Pads-Low-Profile-/222270493214

This one will be strong enough to stick the engine in (well, almost :) ) - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-Dual-...pe-Black-Heavy-Duty-25-4mm-Wide-/222161455684

Both can be removed without damaging the varnish, if the varnish is good.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com

Richard

+2 for Dual Lock. Comes off clean, does not creep. And I've used it for CO monitors!

doug748

Visit site
Have you ever tried removing the side stuck to the bulk head? Does it pull the varnish off?

I think this train of thought is the right one.
On an older boat you are left with a mixture of faded varnish and old screw holes so it hardly matters. With a newer boat I would consider not fixing anything to varnished bulkheads without a lot of thought.

It may be possible to affix your items to grp, plastic or vinyl areas of the boat which may not cause problems that can't easily be fixed