State of the Thames?

Nick2

Visit site
Is it likely to be Ok to navigate the Thames from Harleyford to Bourne End and back to fill with fuel early next week or should I make other arrangments ? I am not wishing to risk life, limb and boat...............

My boat may be here in time for winter

BarryH

Visit site
The Thames doesn't look that bad. Sat in a pub at chertsey today. It was running a bit quicker than normal, but the red boards weren't out at the locks. Depends on how much rain we have between now and then.

byron

RIP
Visit site
Nick! This never ceases to amuse me, that people should care about the state of the Thames when using a well found motor boat. Think about it, apart from bridge heights what else is there to worry about? The Thames rarely if ever runs above 3/4 knots, one gets tides twice that speed running in and out of harbours mouths like Langstone and Poole.
Anyways, why are you going to Bourne End for fuel? It will be far cheaper at Better Boating at Caversham, bit further yes but the savings will more than compensate.

http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

PGD

www.peter-davey.com
All said is fine - I'm at Harleyford and the river isn't much to worry about, the only thing to look out for is any floating deris etc, the currents from the weirs arn't really anything to worry about unless you go playing in the pools like the kanooists do. You might get the odd frown from the lock keepers, but if you've got plent of power and a spare anchor and know what you're doing they don't seem to worry.

Bourne End was 39 p when I filled up there in Sept / Oct, don't know about the site at Caversahm

Peter

Visit site
Nick
May be worth a call to Bourne End to check they are selling diesel.
According to my father in law who moors there - the building work has or is about to start and you don't want a wasted journey.
Only other choice might be up to Val Wyatt?
Cheers
Mike

Visit site
Other thing I forgot -
River is closed Sun 17th between Marlow bypass bridge and Bourne End railway bridge for "Head of River" racing with our chums the spiders.
And as we all know they will always take in to consideration the speed the river is running before they shout at you to slow down - NOT!

pheran

Visit site
Quite right Boss. Mind you there is the odd hot spot. Like the entrance to our moorings where the water is 3 feet up on Summer level and flow is 4 or 5 knots. All comes from being just downstream of Mapleduram, on one of the narrowest parts and on a sharp bend

Why am I telling you all this? Out of frustration. Boat sold, money banked but new owner cant take the boat away because of conditions. So I'm bored and pee'd off - might have to go and watch Discovery (B1 pl note)

ccscott49

Visit site
Wimps! Try the haven bridge area in Gt. Yarmouth! 8 knots under the bridge!! Or dartmouth at ebb spring tides and rain on Dartmoor, thats lots of fun!

Bejasus

Visit site
For some real fun, watch the holiday makers trying to moor WITH the tide on it's way out at Reedham Ferry. It's nuts. Also a bit dangerous. Or coming down the Bure near Gt.Yarmouth with a 12 berth boat sideways on a full ebb tide. Ouch!!!

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/h00>h00's Project</A>

ccscott49

Visit site
Re: SSh! gt yarmouth bridge

I remember crossing that effing bar at yarmoputh many times, I learnt to sail along that coast and lived on my first boat at burgh castle! After I left the Army and joined the oilfield. Had my second boat built at bure marine! I used to work in a unit right next to the haven bridge and watch the hire boats being swept out to sea under the bridge, a few sank aswell! great fun!!

byron

RIP
Visit site
Mike, Val Wyatt no longer sells fuel.
The price at Better Boating when I last checked was 30p quite a saving over the 39p at Bourne End.

http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

G

Tuesday, Lunchtime.

Just been down to Marlow Bridge to have a look, I guestimate the river to be flowing at about 3knots at the moment. Nothing too horrendous, but if the boat is new to you, better to wait until things have calmed down again.
The last thing you will want will be a fuel blockage or some other failure on a boat that you dont 'know' yet.
Have fun, take care!!
Peter.

ChrisP

Visit site
Bit unkind to call them wimps. I've boated the Thames for over 30 years and seen/worked in conditions easily as bad as anything you mentioned, and had to pull the unwary out of it. A couple of years ago I took 2 boats through Chertsey bridge, whilst stemming the flow we were clocking over 8 knots approaching and under the bridge. Whilst I agree that people with your experience handle this sort of thing in their sleep. A little well founded caution in the novice is never misplaced.

ChrisP ;o))

What do you mean the sea gull in front's walking !!!