Starting steps

Al.

Visit site
Greetings all,

Sorry for my first post, being a pic your brains one, but i figure you will put me on the right tracks. Im hunting for a live-aboard boat, I've found this. A COLVIC Liberator 35, atm its on flea-bay for £10k, but 15k is what they want, it does have a few faults, and these i can list, last survey was in 2004.

I will be honest and say my original budget was £12k. I have ketp away from the likes of boatshed, because there fees inflate the boat prices, good or bad idea.

So questions time,

Would it be good enough, ?
Should i stick under 30 foot. ?
Are we the only people in the universe ?

Thanks
Al

Al.

Visit site
No, Its not wooden. Other options, are Saber 27 Twin keel, or Contest 31.

I like the layout of the saber, but im not sure how well she would handle blue water.

Cheaper marina fees, and the fact she can be beeched is a bonus. when hull work is required

ianfr

picasaweb.google.com
Hi

The Sabre 27 is a good sea boat built like the proverbial brick outhouse. Slightly old fashioned now, but capable of giving you a safe trip in reasonable comfort. We bought one in December and are chafing to get out and sail. The owners association is very active and knowledgeable. http://www.sabre27.org.uk/

If you need any information they are the people to talk to.

Regards

Ian

Tranona

Visit site
You don't say what your experience is or where you intend to sail but you don't seem to have thought things through.

£12k is not a lot of money and limits you to small and/or old boats. The Liberator at £10 or even £15k is a potential money pit. Originally it wa a cruiser/racer, probably home completed and designed for a big crew. Not a good basis for a single handed liveaboard. And at that price level will almost certainly need large sums spent on it. Remember repairs and upgrading costs are a function of size, not your purchase price.

Many people do liveaboard on low budget boats, but if they also intend to do any serious long distance sailing then they tend to go for older style long keel boats in the 26-30ft range and trade off the poor accommodation for the supposed superior seaworthiness.

Don't ignore brokers - their involvement is unlikely to have a significant influence on the price you pay. However, you find less of the type of boat you are looking for with brokers because there is little money in them and they are difficult to sell. Unless you really know what you are doing, buying in this market segment is fraught with problems.

Al.

Visit site
HI, Thanks for the reply, My actual budget is 15k, This does not include money for repairs that need doing after purchase.

Alas i know its a small amount, the ex got everything else. :mad:

I take it you dont think the saber is a good move, what about the 31 contest.

As for experience, the last time i sailed, that was on a 19 lysander. My plans are to move on board continue to work, do Sailing school, and do whatever the boat requires. Gaining new sailing experience again,

Later i plan to head out, and see the world before it to late.

I should add, i have found a marina, thats allows live aboards, and the yearly fee for council tax, is split.

Last edited:

Andy and Lyn

West Sussex and French Waterways from 1 April
Visit site
I know we don't advertise on her but there are good solid boats out there that are doing the job you want yours to do - to liveaboard but good sea-boat! Im trading up for comfort reasons (getting older) but something like my old Westerly Renown, already "mediterranean-ised" and fit for purpose is what you could do with. Biased I know, but still good advice too!

grumpygit

Visit site
HI, Thanks for the reply, My actual budget is 15k, This does not include money for repairs that need doing after purchase.

As for experience, the last time i sailed, that was on a 19 lysander. My plans are to move on board continue to work, do Sailing school, and do whatever the boat requires. Gaining new sailing experience again,

I should add, i have found a marina, thats allows live aboards, and the yearly fee for council tax, is split.

IMO the Contest 31 is a strong, quick boat and if you are lucky enough to find a good one for 15k that must be the way to go. They are maybe not the roomiest 31 footer but heyho you can't have everything.

Al.

Visit site
See this is why i like the internet, nice people on forums.

Only the Contest left on my original list. Now i will admit to liking the boat. she is 1974, but i always figured the older stuff is better :). :D

Tranona

Visit site

Personally I like the Sabre - learnt to sail in one when they were new. However having lived for a short while on a 26 footer, would not fancy living permanently on that size.

Lets face it there are few boats designed for what you want to do so anything will be a compromise. On a limited budget you have to keep an open mind and not get fixated on one particular design. Allmost certinly any boat you buy will not be the "right one" so maybe best to prioritize your immediate needs and if it is somewhere reasonably comfortable to live as a house boat, then put those features at the top of your list. You will almost certainly change your mind about what you want after a couple of years' experience, then you can go hunting for the boat for travelling.

truscott

Visit site
Have you considered a Rival 32? They're mostly a little more than your budget, but are definitely up to the task. SWMBO lived aboard her brother's boat (with him also) for the better part of a year. He's managed to get it from the UK to the Med, via the Panama canal and including a circumnavigation of Oz, so they're definitely fit for purpose.

There's one here for close to your budget;
http://www.boatshop24.co.uk/MTIxNTI1fkJTTUUwMQ==-Rival_32.html

And, no, it's not the bro-in-law's.

PT.

V1701

Visit site
Well I spent a year living on a modern 30 footer (Jeanneau), now have an Albin Vega. £12k will buy you a good basic boat (reengined, decent suit of sails) and leave a few grand to equip her for blue water...

Csail

N/A
Visit site
Greetings all,

Sorry for my first post, being a pic your brains one, but i figure you will put me on the right tracks. Im hunting for a live-aboard boat, I've found this. A COLVIC Liberator 35, atm its on flea-bay for £10k, but 15k is what they want, it does have a few faults, and these i can list, last survey was in 2004.

I will be honest and say my original budget was £12k. I have ketp away from the likes of boatshed, because there fees inflate the boat prices, good or bad idea.

So questions time,

Would it be good enough, ?
Should i stick under 30 foot. ?
Are we the only people in the universe ?

Thanks
Al

Where are you? mine might suit you ....look on my website below.

birdseye86

Visit site
Liveaboard /Charter management advice...

Hi all, sorry if I am posting this in the wrong place, or being cheeky asking for advice when I do not have much in return to offer, but I am soon to be qualified as a deck officer in the merchant navy, and am seriously considering living on a yacht....

I have limited sailing experience, but am keen to learn and intend to do a lot of training. I am also not talking about immediately buying a yacht so no worries there.....

My questions are these...

I have some savings of approx £30k from previous work, will be able to save approx 100k in the next 5 years if disciplined....what would peoples recommendations be on an ideal yacht to live relatively comfortably, but more importantly, be able to do long-haul / adventurous trips...

Would I be better saving more? Boat mortgage? - I have tried to research boat financing but struggled to find much information...

What about charter companies??? obviously with my career there will be months at a time where I would not be on the yacht.....are they a good solution as a security, maintenance and financial points of view? do they really make you money?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I am the first to admit I do not know much about this...I am not living in cloud cuckoo land I hope....I know there are many difficulties, challenges etc and it is a tough lifestyle at times, but I genuinely think I could do it and that any disadvantages are far outweighed by the positives....