'Sta-Loc' fitting problem

steve1963

Visit site
I've just bought a 7mm 'Sta-Loc' fork from a supplier in the UK (advertised as Sta-loc). This was about 10% cheaper than the nearest competitor, although still expensive. This came in an unlabelled, clear plastic bag, with no instructions. I have read that the fittings are supplied with instructions. There are no markings on the cone either, which seems a bit odd to me. I am now trying to fit this damn thing and it is proving extremely difficult. Basically, whatever I do, the cone is always forced out over the inner core when I try to wrap the outer wires. I am now wondering whether what I have is a genuine Sta-Loc, or some 'cheap' immitation. Anyone had a similar experience?

steve1963

Visit site
Yes, I've watched several videos and read several accounts, including on forums where people have been having problems. One of my main concerns is whether this is a genuine fitting or not. I'll try the artery clamp idea.

chewbacca

Visit site
Hi Steve I think the important things are make sure the end of the wire is cut square leave enough I think it's 3mm past the end of the cone.Wedge the cone into the fitting so it's effectively held then screw the fitting together and allow the former to bend the outer wires into place. Youve probably read all the instructions watched the videos etc undo the fitting and check it's done up right. I think it's prefferable to screw the part that contains the former to the fitting rather than the other way around if that makes sense

steve1963

Visit site
Hi Chewbacca
The problem is, is that this is exactly what I am doing, but the cone just gets pushed off as soon as I move the threaded part of the fitting towards the wire end. Even if I try to forcibly hold it in place. Also, I am making sure that the wire does not fall into the split in the cone. Seems to me, that something is amiss somewhere.

Spyro

Visit site
Try giving the cone a squeeze with some pliers once it's in place. Are you sure it's the right size for your rigging wire?

steve1963

Visit site
I was told that (by the people at Sta-Loc) that this must NEVER be done, although I have heard of some riggers doing this. I measured the rigging with a vernier gauge before ordering, so it should be OK. The cone seems to fit on very easily. Maybe too easily......

steve1963

Visit site
What did the fake look like? The one I have bought looks like it is very good quality. I think it is the genuine article, but came in a plain plastic bag, with no instructions. This worries me. Where did you buy yours?

chewbacca

Visit site
Hi Steve my wedges have the size, makers logo,and wire size etched onto them perhaps they are the wrong size? Or for another type of fitting or norsmann which I believe don't use a former

pcatterall

Visit site
What did the fake look like? The one I have bought looks like it is very good quality. I think it is the genuine article, but came in a plain plastic bag, with no instructions. This worries me. Where did you buy yours?

2019-04-16 18.30.28.jpg2019-04-16 18.30.28.jpg

Bought on ebay. The cones as you can see are just a one piece unit. The insides of the 'cone' have lateral grooves to grip the wire. I have read that similar units tested do not fail before the wire snaps.

Spyro

Visit site
View attachment 77260View attachment 77260

Bought on ebay. The cones as you can see are just a one piece unit. The insides of the 'cone' have lateral grooves to grip the wire. I have read that similar units tested do not fail before the wire snaps.

Does that cone fit over all the wire or just the inner core? The part on the left doesn't look like it has a cup shape that would form the outer wires over the end of the cone. It could just be the angle but it doesn't look big enough to take the cone and the outer wires.

Last edited:

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
View attachment 77260View attachment 77260

Which end does the wire appear from, I'm assuming the left side of the picture. If that is correct, then I would say that cone is facing the wrong way round.

Spyro

Visit site
Which end does the wire appear from, I'm assuming the left side of the picture. If that is correct, then I would say that cone is facing the wrong way round.
I don't think so. The taper on the cone matches the taper on the fitting on the right.

oldharry

Visit site
Doesnt look like any Sta Lok or Norsmann I have ever used. Sta lock 7mm cones look like this, unless they have changed the pattern since I last used them a couple of years ago?
13673.jpg

Sta Lock instruction sheet:
Stalok Instructions.jpg

Last edited:

Spyro

Visit site
Yes that is correct. When I get some 5mm wire rope I will see if it can sensibly be fitted with the centre core through the cones and the outer sections over as per Norseman and StaLok but I am sure the whole wire is just gripped from the outside.
I don't understand what you mean about 5mm wire as you say you have bought a 7mm fitting. What size is your rigging wire that you want to fit the fitting on? Norseman and Sta-lok cones go on the inner core some other types just fit over the whole wire. Does your cone fit over the whole wire?