ST2000 Raymarine / Tacktick NMEA Wind Trim Mode

winsbury

New member
Joined
28 Sep 2012
Messages
519
Visit site
Having an issue with getting my ST2000 to follow the apparent wind and I suspect a NMEA messaging/bridging issue.

The system consists of Tacktick T120 wind sensor, T111 display, T121 hull transducer and T122 wireless interface.
The Tacktick network links to a Raymarine C97 MFD N2K bus via an Actisense NGW-1 NMEA 0183-N2K converter

So far so good, everything talks to everything else and wind & nav info displays on the C97 and T111 displays all exactly as expected, actually it works rather beautifully allowing almost any metric to be displayed on any screen.

The ST2000+ autohelm is also connected to the NMEA0183 circuit as a listener and works in Track Mode ( following waypoints ) but not Wind Trim Mode which indicates to me it is wired up correctly but not receiving the required VWR (Relative Wind Speed and Angle) NMEA messages.

According to the T122 manual it supports VWR on transmit and receive side so assuming the message is in the network somewhere I expected it to get bridged to the other side.

Unfortunately I don't have an analyser to see what messages are on the networks and the Tacktick manuals are very sparse indeed on details.

Any ideas folks, is there something I have omitted to enable somewhere ?

One small clue: http://yakbitz.com/YakBak.aspx these guys talk about converting MWV to VWR messages specifically for Raymarine autohelms, could it be that Tacktick / Raymarine doesn't use VWR ?
 

Daverw

Well-known member
Joined
2 Nov 2016
Messages
2,761
Location
Humber
Visit site
I had the same issue with my tack tick and st2000+ setup, would not work over NMEA 0183 but would using Seatalk using converter. When changed auto pilot to evo all then worked using N2k. It does seem to be the nmea message format.
 

Daverw

Well-known member
Joined
2 Nov 2016
Messages
2,761
Location
Humber
Visit site
I used the raymarine st1 to stng converter, I had the ticktak nmea0183 interface sending into my Digital Yachts AIS which sent to converter over NMEA2k, did then upgrade ticktak interface to NMEA2K when it came out and tried NMEA 2k to NMEA0183 to the ST2000+ but that still did not work and kept the stng converter until I changed to the EVO.

All very clunky but did work as required. It does seem to be the NMEA sentence that the AP looks for that’s the issue.
 
Top