St Martin to Europe next week, with decisive dithering

t21

Visit site
I'm in St Martin and I gotta be back in UK early July. Legal stuff, can't be moved.

I have kinda discounted the Carib options. for haul-fly-flyback-relaunch over might-be-a-hurricane season- I think the airlines will have trouble enough surviving... never mind running specualtive off-season flights to small carib islands. Some of the small islands seem to be "doubling down" and proudly trying to eliminate C-19 altogether, which means No Visitors. Which ultimately means back to goat herding instead of tourism? No idea what will happen next season November onwards but I will likely be back at least a little bit. I suppose any Cruise Ships will call the shots about where the bulk of tourists go (2 million a year on SXM alone) .... but so will the island governments, flexing muscles and seemingly pleased with a population that sits indoors casuing as little trouble as possible. Puerto Rico and Cuba reportedly dismissed visiting yachts at gunpoint. Dutch side St Martin seems to have no flights whatsoever and none planned for months yet.

French side is re-opening and I am writing this from a waterside cafe, the only place that I can find serving lunch on the French side, in Marina Royal, the Creperie du Lagon serving er roast chicken, or half a roast chicken, or a hamburger, or lasagne, or Croque Monsieur. But also rosé, and smiles. There are some flights to Guadeloupe, then Paris, and these French islands are super-centralised - you want promotion to Head of dept in the school where you work, then you go to Paris for the interview.

Boat 60' cat, likely off towards Azores... then Canaries? I think. I suppose part or most of the time in Azores will be more finally deciding where to go. UK isn't the most obvious choice - another transat in late 2020 is a better option than living like a mushroom in Europe. So UK means another 2k slog south, the toughest bit of the transat really, and should be early as possible.

Plan A is Lanzarote, and in Calero (thanks to direction from some on this forum over 12 years ago) they "know me" positively ... which is a factor in these strange times.

But plan A needs flights, and preferably not quarantine if possible. Flights from LON-ACE due in June with Rynair or Jet2, maybe only maybe.

Hum. Anyway, the boat is good enough for a transat, even tho i defintiely didn't plan it 8 weeks ago. Aruba a possible but is so windy, very downwind, a slog there and back albeit only a 500 mile slog. Hum, again. Trinidad doesn't even have a date for re-opening. 6 people have died with c-19 so of course, shut completely. Sheesh.

gertha

Visit site
Good luck and enjoy the sail.
The Coko virus has definitely knocked about 50k on the head in the UK, as a disbeliever in the early days I accept there is a problem.
Put off hitting the UK until the last moment , This thing may bubble up again in a month.
Canaries imposed something close to marshal law, army in the streets, my guess is you could be heading for an ind3ferent song by the Eagles, someth8ng bout you may stay but never leaf.
Don’t forget to post where you are going so the rusty tufts armchair sailors on the forum can elevate themselves to a position of superior intellect and sailing.

t21

Visit site
Good luck and enjoy the sail.
The Coko virus has definitely knocked about 50k on the head in the UK, as a disbeliever in the early days I accept there is a problem.
Put off hitting the UK until the last moment , This thing may bubble up again in a month.
Canaries imposed something close to marshal law, army in the streets, my guess is you could be heading for an ind3ferent song by the Eagles, someth8ng bout you may stay but never leaf.
Don’t forget to post where you are going so the rusty tufts armchair sailors on the forum can elevate themselves to a position of superior intellect and sailing.
Thanks for this G.
Dithering and slow work from others means I have to delay departure but May 28th is likely latest.
Spanish martial law noted. I have contacts in Lanza who can advise before departure and while at sea.
Trying to find crew. Some dreaming dregs now. Girls all think sailors are a murdering rapists. Boys even more scared but blame others for scaredy questions eg my Dad wants an online gps position 24/7 jeez. This from people who said they wanted to go off grid. They wanted to go off grid but still with Fb access of course. But there is hope...

Last edited:

capnsensible

Visit site
Looking good for getting gonski. No quarantine on arrival in Spain after 1st July.

Was in Calero this morning. Its pretty full so booking a berth would be a good plan.

Have a safe trip!