St Malo ferry to railway station - is this timing possible?

djs

www.uniquesolutions.co.uk
Hi folks
I have a journey to make to meet a boat at Paimpol for the latter half of the Classics Channel regatta next week. The connection at St Malo is a bit tight and i'm after others' experience as I think I need to make a reservation on the train and don't want to book a train I'm not going to get...

i'll be arriving St Malo on the Jersey - St Malo condor ferry, it's due in at 11.20am
Theres a useful train leaving St Malo 22 minutes later.

Theoretically its only 5 minutes from ferry terminal to train station by car / cab, but how likely am i to be able to get off the ferry, through security, into a cab and to the station in time to get a train that leaves 22 minutes after the scheduled ferry arrival.

My gut instinct is that its prob way too tight but if i can get this earlier train I get to Piampol a good 4 hours earlier which would be preferable.

anyone have experince of making his connection, or knowledge of S Malo ferry / trains that can advise?

cheers All
Dave

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
I did St Malo - Lézardrieux tthirty years ago and so can't help on timings, but I hope for your sake that they haven't upgraded the track or trains. Best railway experience of my life!

Tidewaiter2

Turning Left this season?-Nach Friesians?
Visit site
Our Club did a 'Big Boat Cruise' on the Brittany Ferries Pompey-St Malo ferry last November. Even as foot passengers, with just a daysac, it took at least 15mins to shuffle off and through at that time of year.
I'd say you won't make it based on that, although the Condor is smaller, fewer foot passengers, any slight delay would scupper you and the French holiday season has started now too-think stressed parents, grandparents, wheeled luggage, etc, etc.
Book the next useful train, or check with our French and CI Forumites as to what Condor foot traffic/cab rank is like?
Maybe even Condor Customer Services may be able to help- the French can be very helpful to sailors joining traditional or classic boat Festivals:D

Oldfellah

Visit site
You will need to allow anything up to 40 mins to disembark and go through customs control so I would think that your timescale is rather tight ! If you are on foot it could well be a lot quicker however that is assuming that the Condor arrives on time. Good luck.

Bandit

Visit site
The Condor Ferry does not always run to time.

When you arrive at St Malo you will have to walk to the top of the ram and get in to a bus or wait for a bus, when this is full it will take you 100 metres to the terminal where you get off and walk through. Then you need a taxi for the 2km to the railway station.

Unless the ferry eaves well early you don't have a cat in hells chance! when is the next train ?

There is probably a bus that does that run I have one St Cast to St Mao by Ti Bus so look in to that, taxis in France are ruinously expensive. See http://www.tibus.fr/ and http://www.tibus.fr/plan/popup.asp

Last edited:

dunedin

Visit site
Sitting recently watching the Condor cats come in, we were always surprised just how long they took to cover the last 100m reversing onto the dock. After haring across the sea at a vast rate of knots, they seemed to have no hurry to complete the docking.
And then they took something off the car deck before letting passengers off.
Could be stressful if itching to get off quickly