St George & Dragon at Wargrave

DWT

Visit site
I have passed this pub many times, but have never stopped, partly because it was a Harvester up until quite recently.

I am told it is pretty good now and am thinking about using it as a lunch stop for trips I do for clients on Fridays in the Summer.

I only ever see the odd hire boat moored there and wondered if there is a problem with the depth. The people at the pub are not sure.

Has anyone been there recently, is it worth a visit? Any views/information about the mooring?

Brayman

Visit site
The depth was ok two years and more ago so I imagine it is ok. I have a 4' draft. The mooring isn't very good as they only have B&Q type rings on the bank, also the bank is only a couple of inches above the water, in fact at Easter it was just about level on Good Friday but the water had gone down a couple of inches by the Monday.
I don't know anyone who has been in it in its current form but I imagine it is just like your (getting to be) standard chain Gastro pub.
As a Harvester it was useless, as a Vintage Inn it was ok.

landlockedpirate

Visit site
I have to declare an interest. I am currently doing some consultancy work for Vintage Inns.

IMHO the current offering is one of the best Pub Grub type operations around. However I don't know this pub or management so can't comment on the quality of this operation.

Let us know how you get on.

landlockedpirate

Visit site
Sorry your right !

Its a bit wierd I have just checked my database and its just coming up as a M&B pub, I have no idea what brand it is.

The Vintage inn St George & Dragon is in Exeter.

DWT

Visit site
Thanks for your replies. Their website shows that it is part of a small chain of four pubs. The other three are The Ferry at Cookham, Inn on the Lake at Godalming and Belvedere Arms at Sunninghill.

I sent them an email enquiry and they replied pretty quickly with some helpful information which I think is a good sign.

I have noticed that the bank is very low there which I suppose could cause a problem with fendering. We shall give it a try sometime and report back.

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
I have eaten here a couple of times within the last few months and have to say it was very good food and excellent service. As people have mentioned, they are part of a small chain, and they also have one in Chorleywood, near were we live, so we are often in there. The food menu is normally always the same at all the pubs in the chain, but is always a very good standard.
As someone mentioned, they also run the Ferry inn at Cookham, but if eating out on the patio there, they don't always offer the full restaurant menu that is on offer upstairs, and also have noticed that the service can be a bit hit and miss, mostly because it is always crowded, and people often move around.

miket

Visit site
I have eaten there twice in the last 12 months. Neither occasion was by boat, but depth should not be a problem as it is on the outside of the corner.
On both visits I was pleased with the food. Nice menu, quite good value for money and pleasant modern minimalist decor.
Well worth a visit and a huge improvement over the old Harvester.