SSB HF SGC SC-2000 Help

Tony13

Visit site
I have recently brought a boat that has this HF SGC SC-2000 radio installed. The previous owner swore by it and said it is a really good bit of kit. Ive recently come off a video call with him to try and set up weatherfax but there seems to be some problem with selecting a frequency and hearing other stations and i dont believe i can actually pick up any stations. I was just wondering if anyone in this community is familiar with this device and that could direct me through the settings, as it is quite a complicated bit of kit with plenty of different button combinations.
Picture attached of the front face of the radio.
20230430_145930[4465].jpg

KompetentKrew

Visit site
"Download" link at bottom of page: SG-2000 PowerTalk ADSP2 Transceiver

Direct link to PDF manual: https://www.sgcworld.com/Publications/Manuals/2000Man.pdf

I think you'll be quite fortunate to find someone on here with experience of this exact model - just treat it as a radio. Is there a local ham radio club, the old men of which you can cultivate for help? Just find something - anything - to listen to. Right now the Dutch webSDR is receiving a Canadian station very clearly on 14162khz USB.

harvey38

Visit site
Big, clunky, overcomplicated and unless you are a Radio Ham, it's not really suitable for a boat. A marine VHF would be better unless there are specific frequencies outside of this you need to have a two way conversation with.

Skylark

Visit site
@Tony13

I’m not familiar with the radio but just taking a look at the links kindly provided by @KompetentKrew and it looks good to me, albeit quite old.

So talking generally, what is your issue?

In order to receive weather you’ll probably have the radio, an Antenna Tuning Unit, a long wire antenna, an RF earth and a modem. Do you have each of these?

Do you have a list of stations broadcasting weather info? This should list frequency and time of broadcast. HF signals generally bounce around the atmosphere so not all frequencies can be received at all time at any location. A bit of trial and error searching the right station is required.

Also Google to get a list of Marine HF frequencies and also Amateur Band HF frequencies. Search around the bands to check that signals are being received.

On the Amateur bands, by convention frequencies below 10 MHz use lower sideband and, upper sideband above 10MHz. Unlikely to find anyone using AM.

You could also google to show radio propagation signals, this should show which frequency bands are open to sending and receiving signals at any time at any location.

How does the modem show weather? Built in paper printer or send to a computer?

I suggest that it’s well worth an investment of your time to understand what you have and how to get the best out of it.

Keep posting questions. Good luck.

Stingo

Visit site
Unless otherwise stated, assigned frequencies are shown, for carrier frequency subtract 1.9 kHz. Typically dedicated radiofax receivers use assigned frequencies, while receivers or transceivers, connected to external recorders or PC's, are operated in the upper sideband (USB) mode using carrier frequencies
From here:
https://www.weather.gov/media/marine/rfax.pdf
Edit. link corrected

Last edited: