SSB and e-mail

Talbot

Visit site
I decided that I should go down the SSB route for my long distance comms, and bought an M700(UK). I was primarily concerned with weather Fax and the chat nets. I recently started to consider the use of E-mail, and then discovered that the M700(UK) being a rather old relay driven set, does not really get on with the Pactor modems. I had originally decided that E-Mail would be carried out by my laptop/mobile phone combo when in harbour/coastal waters - do people actually use the e-mail facility when at sea?

i.e. do I need to re-think the M700(UK) and get a newer set?

<hr width=100% size=1>

MainlySteam

Visit site
Just in case you decide to go down the ssb email path, perhaps you do not need to replace your radio which would be a big cost - I don't know what used 710's go for in UK but there is a big market for them here and I understand that the prices commanded reflect that.

I have not personally used a M700 for PacTor but my understanding is that the only issues with it are that it does not have the required pin outs on the rear panel for the SCS modem (but can be retrofitted) and cannot be operated at full output (unlike the PRO version, but not a severe disability for PacTor).

The Tx/Rx turnaround timing requirements for PacTor are much less severe than for AMTOR/SITOR, for example, so maybe the information given you regarding the relays being a problem is not correct.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
I talked at length to <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.sailcom.co.uk/>Sailcom</A> at some length, and they have tried to set up a couple of these sets in the past. Part of the problem is that there is no aux out, only a second speaker port. They reckon that they have been unsuccessful in matching the two together as the pactor sends out the data in small chunks, and the relays dont seem to be able to react fast enough.

<hr width=100% size=1>

SimonJ

Returned to Caribbean for the winter, back to uk f
Visit site
If you have a mobile phone (and are within range) or have access to shore phones the pocketmail device is very cheap, simple and reliable means of dealing with email when travelling. Worth considering anyway as a back up. Go to www.pocketmail.com and see what they have. But you will note I am working on getting a Pactor for my SSB (ICOM 706 Mk 2) for mid ocean use!
Simon

<hr width=100% size=1>SimonJ

MainlySteam

Visit site
As I say I have not used an IC-M700 so am just repeating what I understood to be the case. However, I have just had a quick look around the internet and Sailmail talks about use of the M700 for email and there are a number of other links to users talking about using them (the 700 not the 700PRO).

The only difficult issue that can exist in an ssb radio is its tx/rx turnaround time (and the tx/rx relay may limit this in older radios) as, despite what you apparantly have been told, all the inputs/outputs and keying the tx required exist on any ssb transceiver. In the end it can always be done, perhaps inconveniently (but for the sake of making the point) just by using the microphone audio in and PTT, and the headphone/speaker out. I have used 1980's relay switched radios for AMTOR/SITOR (and PacTor) and its timing requirements are much more severe than those of PacTor.

Buying another radio is certainly the easier option, especially if one does not have a friendly supplier/help. The M700's do seem to be used for PacTor - perhaps secretly you want a new radio /forums/images/icons/smile.gif.

Have you thought of asking Jon Brooks?

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
The SSB is not even installed yet, still sitting in my bedroom! I originally had not intended to email at sea anyway. It is only recently that I started to consider it. If sailmail are discussing the use of it, then there must be a way, so a bit more research is called for. Thanks for your advice.

<hr width=100% size=1>