Spluttering water tap and water pump on continuously

lyralicious

Thailand. Recovering from what felt like the longe
www.patreon.com
Hi

Occasionally when we turn any tap on the water doesn't come out properly. Instead it splutters and spurts and then the water pump kicks in, but sounds like it is pumping air. On top of this the pump sometimes stays on, whining away but seemingly pumping nothing. On the odd occasion we've left the boat for the evening only to come back to the sound of the water pump furiously working away.

This doesn't occur all the time, but a whole day can go by with this happening. The only solution is to turn the tap back on until water comes out normally, which is a serious waste of water. Is this normal? Could it be a leak somewhere?

Any pointers appreciated!

DAVIDO

Visit site
Most pumps run until a certain pressure is achieved i believe then cut out. It sounds like its on its way out maybe serviceable dependant on make.

MoodySabre

Visit site
I bought a boat last year with pressurised water. Pump ran and ran but nothing happened. Stripped the pump, replaced the diaphram - water came out of the taps but out of the pump too. Bought a new Jabsco pump - perfect. The only tme it splutters is when it hasn't been used for ages or when the water got really low. Once the air is out of the pipes it should be OK . Sounds like a pump problem that either can't maintain the pressure (diaphram) or doesn't know when to cut out (pressure switch).

Exploded diagrams on the Jabsco website.

Visit site
You may have a leak on the suction side of the pump (between the pump and the tank) that allows the pump to suck in air ?
If the pump is at a higher level than the tank or if there is very little head between the tank and the pump then the leak could be so small that water may not leak out through it when the pump is not running, but it could still cause the problem.
George

Allan

Visit site
It sounds to me like you have a small leak between the tank and the pump. If this is the case, the pump can try to pump air. once there is air at the output of the pump it will continue run as it will not 'see' any water pressure. It would also explain the "spluttering. I've had similar problems with industrial installation. The leak could be within the pump which would also mean replacement.
Allan

Cliveshep

Visit site
Mine did the same, cause was a small leak on the suction side of the pump. Check/re-do/tighten all connections, make sure the filter bowl is properly fitted and tight so no possible places air can get sucked in instead of water. Once you've done all that you can then spend money, i.e diapraghm first (cheapest) then pressure switch (dearest).

ms1

Visit site
Spluttering is usually air. Pump should cut out at set pressure via a microswitch. Sounds like you ned a new pressure switch. NOt afully expensive. If its a Jabsco you can obtain switch (and advice) from Cleghorn Waring.
If there is enough air the pump will work away compressing the air until it eventually reaches the set pressure. Maybe best to find air prob before you replace switch.

ccscott49

Visit site
Sounds like its (slightly) sucking air, then losing its prime, when left. Have a look at the inlet to the pump and pipework.

gtuson

Visit site
We had what sounds like similar problem. We found we could hear tiny amount of air being sucked in where the inlet pipe enters the pump - needs no background noise! We changed the O ring in the connector and that seemed to do the trick.

pampas

Visit site
If the valves have NEVER been out is the suction and delivery on the correct connection, if the valves have been out make sure that the one with the tiny hole is on the inlet side.

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
On my old (ish) pump I found that the pump wasnt producing sufficient pressure to trip the micro switch..as I was down in the west country at the time I checked all the hose connecters etc. but when that didnt fix it I took out the spring between the diaphragm and switch, and chopped off a bit.

Worked perfectly for the next 5 years ( and still is).

BTW if it is only a problem with priming the system up , I always have this at the beginning of the season, I attach the dinghy pump to the tank over flow and pressurse it a bit, primes up the pump PDQ.

Regds Nick

qetoo

carlten.tripod.com
I've had a leak in the strainer at the inlet to the pump. Apparently it cracked due to a freeze. Another time I found that a crystal formation in the aluminum water tank had plugged up the outlet pipe. Some of the crystals also got into the strainer and plugged the flow there too.

DanP1980

Visit site
Hi

Occasionally when we turn any tap on the water doesn't come out properly. Instead it splutters and spurts and then the water pump kicks in, but sounds like it is pumping air. On top of this the pump sometimes stays on, whining away but seemingly pumping nothing. On the odd occasion we've left the boat for the evening only to come back to the sound of the water pump furiously working away.

This doesn't occur all the time, but a whole day can go by with this happening. The only solution is to turn the tap back on until water comes out normally, which is a serious waste of water. Is this normal? Could it be a leak somewhere?

Any pointers appreciated!
I had the same problem. Water tanks were empty