Spinnaker pole length

Rod 228

Visit site
Have just purchased a Newbridge Virgo Voyager II 23ft. Can anyone advise length of pole as I have a new kite, it would be wasteful not to use it.

B27

Visit site
Traditionally, the pole length was penalised for racing if it was longer than the distance mast to forestay along the deck.
Known as the 'J' measurement.
So a lot of kites are designed around this baseline.
A pole can usefully be a bit longer.
I'm using a broken laser top mast which is conveniently about 15% more than J.
What's the foot measurement of your kite?
A bit more than half that will be a starting point.

Does that help?

William_H

Visit site
If like me you like to run spinnaker very shy then you need to get the tack forward of the forestay. In the case of my 21fter by about 40 cms. So even a bit more for you. All my racing is done by performance based handicap so measurement does not come into it. However if you are racing to class rules or measurement handicap then that will dictate pole length. I use windsurfer carbon fibre mast section. Yes it is tapered but this does not seem to matter. ie it usually starts with thick part to mast but when jibing it ends up thin to mast. Not a problem just a bit tricky to get end fittings to suit the tube dimension.
If your spinnaker flying is to be gentle then on 23 fter wind surfer mast should be fine. Perhaps not strong enough in strong winds when shy. But the cf pole is lovely and light. I use these type https://www.whitworths.com.au/ronstan-spinnaker-pole-end-32mm again a bit light but easy to use.
Incidentally I stow the pole parallel to the mast fat end down into a hook near the mast base and held in place by plastic tube clamps. Works well with topping lift always attached to the pole so it can't be lost. Indeed I have fro a time used a fixed length topping lift. Ok for down wind but I need to raise the pole for shy sailing.
Sorry maybe you will not be such a passionate spin flyer. I get two or three spin runs of perhaps 10 mins each Sunday afternoon of season. (mad) Often shy I found a bigger deeper rudder helped control. (and I have smaller spinnaker for stronger winds) ol'will

Neeves

Visit site
William,

Only from looking and reading your posts a wind surfer mast would be a bit long for you, or your 21'. Which end do you cut off to shorten, the big or small end.

Jonathan

Rod 228

Visit site
Traditionally, the pole length was penalised for racing if it was longer than the distance mast to forestay along the deck.
Known as the 'J' measurement.
So a lot of kites are designed around this baseline.
A pole can usefully be a bit longer.
I'm using a broken laser top mast which is conveniently about 15% more than J.
What's the foot measurement of your kite?
A bit more than half that will be a starting point.

Does that help?
Ian, yes it does and thank you. Ironically I have a spare Laser boom that I intend to use for the pole. Regards Rod Thorpe

William_H

Visit site
William,

Only from looking and reading your posts a wind surfer mast would be a bit long for you, or your 21'. Which end do you cut off to shorten, the big or small end.

Jonathan
The last one I bought was the bottom half of a 2 piece mast. I cut the narrower end off to get the right length. (which also needs to match the existing pole both used as A frame for mast lowering. Currently boat at home for winter. Gerttimng as bit of spiot and polish and new stay wires./ ol'will

Neeves

Visit site
The last one I bought was the bottom half of a 2 piece mast. I cut the narrower end off to get the right length. (which also needs to match the existing pole both used as A frame for mast lowering. Currently boat at home for winter. Gerttimng as bit of spiot and polish and new stay wires./ ol'will
Wind surfers must have been very popular some years, decades, ago and those owners have realised they have not used theirs for years and have been offloading. I've picked up 2 masts from road side council domestic clearances.

I sympathise with your move to have the boat at home - we may be suffering from global warming but its been darned cold and wet on the our side of our island.

Jonathan