Spey Class motor sailers

onesea

Visit site
I am not certain they where ever popular, I don't know how many where built.

Lovely boats wooden massive construction, Watson design built in Bucky. 35' & 40' early ones had coach roofs and wooden masts, later one had flush decks forward and alloy masts.
I think they all had lister engines 3 cylinder in 35' chugged along nicely.
Teak decks, 1 1/4" planking on 6" oak frames 18" spacing if I remember rightly.

They must be considered classics by now, you don't see many.

Tranona

Visit site
Welcome to the forum

Depends on what you mean by popular. I guess some of the owners still love them, but others probably wish they did not own them but can't find anybody to take them off their hands. some who don't own them may have a nostalgic view but stop short when the reality of actually owning one hits them. The only owner of one I knew tolerated his because it provided a cheap home tied up against a quay in Greece slowly rotting away.

Supertramp

Visit site
There are two angles to this - design and age.

Despite relatively small numbers built, I can remember seeing them often on travels around Scotland. I have never sailed one but they always struck me as a mighty comfortable way to cruise Northern latitudes. Their weight, modest sail area and wheelhouse steering means they are a true motorsailer. The more modern design derivatives are boats like the earlier Nauticats or Colvic Watson designs. The design concept seems popular but such boats are comparatively expensive and rare.

They were I recall built in Buckie where many old wooden fishing boats were built. Strong, simple, well built. But at 50 to 60 years old, most the old fishing boats have sucombed to age or accident and unless a Spey has been maintained to yacht standards they are likely to be a nest of problems with leaks, rot etc.

Personally I would love to be in the situation where I lived near the boat, had covered storage, access to woodworking expertise and help plus all the time in the world to work on it. But few people fit that mould.

slowboat

Visit site
Pretty boats. We have owned a 37’ timber motor sailer for 13 years, still love it. I largely ignore the boating “experts” now, The most common question is how long have you owned it, learning its over a decade most na sayers retreat. You need to live reasonably close and own an all over cover for the worst winter weather, if varnished fitted varnish covers for the summer. And yes we do cruise for 2 weeks a year east cost to south coast and back this year, if you like it buy it find a wooden boat surveyor. If hull is mahogany be very careful

Wansworth

Visit site
Pretty boats. We have owned a 37’ timber motor sailer for 13 years, still love it. I largely ignore the boating “experts” now, The most common question is how long have you owned it, learning its over a decade most na sayers retreat. You need to live reasonably close and own an all over cover for the worst winter weather, if varnished fitted varnish covers for the summer. And yes we do cruise for 2 weeks a year east cost to south coast and back this year, if you like it buy it find a wooden boat surveyor. If hull is mahogany be very careful
As I have said i this forum a well kept Woodenboat is not difficult to keep as long as you keep on top of it,at least saves all that silly waxing and polishing

Tranona

Visit site
As I have said i this forum a well kept Woodenboat is not difficult to keep as long as you keep on top of it,at least saves all that silly waxing and polishing
Some truth in that, but for every old wooden boat in that sort of well cared usable condition there are maybe 10 (pick your own figure) that are not.

Wansworth

Visit site
Some truth in that, but for every old wooden boat in that sort of well cared usable condition there are maybe 10 (pick your own figure) that are not.
Indeed,your no doubt more qualified in this matter and I must admit my most recent boatbuilding knowledge stems from the early 1970s when there were boatyards building wooden craft and craftsmen going about their trades,here in Galicia wooden boatbuilding haas Pete redoubt with regional governments sponsoring steel shipbuilding.Although up in the Asturias there is still a small yard building and repairing wooden loggers for recreational use.

Bodach na mara

Visit site
You can maybe judge the popularity of Spey motor sailers by the fact that there is one for sale in Wales at an asking price under £7000.
At one time I would have given my eye teeth to own one but I am now at an age that I couldn't do the work involved in maintaining it. Sadly I think that the generation who appreciated the virtues of boats like these is shuffling off the stage and is being replaced by younger sailors for whom work on maintenance is not just a necessary evil that comes with ownership, but is something to be avoided at all costs.