Speed boat accident.

Trevethan

Visit site
BBC ran the following

Two men have been arrested after two speedboats collided off the Sussex coast, killing one man and seriously injuring another.
Police in Sussex arrested the men on suspicion of manslaughter following the crash half a mile from Brighton Pier.

A man's body was pulled from the sea at Brighton at 2015 BST - an hour and a half after the pleasure boats crashed.

At least eight people were on the boats when they collided, 300 yards south of Brighton Pier.

Survivors comforted

Solent Coastguards had launched a search for a man thrown overboard after the collision at 1850 BST.

Brighton lifeboat spokeswoman Bini McCall said: "We now strongly believe the body found in the water is that of the missing man.

"It appears to be a very tragic accident."

She said members of the party were very emotionally distressed after the incident.

The man's body was taken to Brighton Marina.

Another man is in Brighton's Royal Sussex County Hospital with a broken leg.

Investigation

An investigation into the collision is being led by Sussex Police.

It is understood there were three people on one boat and five on the other when the accident happened on Sunday evening.

The Lee-on-Solent search and rescue helicopter joined the Sussex Police helicopter and lifeboats from Brighton and Shoreham had joined in the search.

The boats have been towed into Brighton Marina where they will be examined by accident investigation experts

Caronia

Visit site
Both boats have now been hauled off to secure compound in Shoreham to avoid pack of marauding reporters.

Trevethan

Visit site
Dim view of the press eh?

I guess I shouldn't tell you my occupation then... In my defence all I have to say is that I write about metals... and its far from sensational...

oldgit

Visit site
Anybody see the Tv picture framing the lager cans on one of the speedboats.
Somebody is about to be hit hard as a lesson to all jet skiers and speedboaters.

And the weather for the weekend is...............

BarryH

Visit site
Its just another step closer to mandatory licencing of water craft. Be it fast boats slow boats or buzzy jet things.

OK, to hell with it. Unbolt it and we'll use it as an anchor!

BarryH

Visit site
Ah but is it! I take a little pride in knowing that I've passed various courses etc. Knowledge is power and all that. How regulated do you want to be. And if formal training/licencing were to be introduced, what makes you think that us experienced "Old Salts" would be exempt!! True alot of people out there on the water are downright dangerous, but so are a fair number of licenced car drivers on the road. Where compulsery testing and insurance tax etc have been in force for years. So alas, I'm not sure its going to make much difference!!!

OK, to hell with it. Unbolt it and we'll use it as an anchor!