Sparked House on Island in Henley

Hirdsp

Visit site
Went for stroll along the river at Henley, as the red flags are still up /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif One of the chalets on the island had been seriously burnt, looked like the night before...owners (I guess) were salvaging what they could. Bet the fire brigade had a night mare putting it out, as the must have fought the fire from the land as the island only has boat access!

BG1

Visit site
Small world! I was strolling at Henley yesterday afternoon and saw the fire damaged chalet. Also saw a rare sight - two beat bobbies strolling the towpath! Maybe thats normal for Henley.
Some big trees down from the gales and the weir flow was impressive.

byron

RIP
Visit site
During heavy rains water collects in the Chilterns and right down into the flood plains. Whilst the flood plains look dry just inches under the ground there is the water table. All this needs to drain off like a soaked sponge.

theguvnor

Visit site
It`s very shallow in Henley. The Hobbs steamer crew say the life rafts are a waste of time cos if the New Orleans sank the passengers could just walk up on the top deck.

The saying goes that if someone has a slash in the river at Reading - Henley floods

Brayman

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Im hoping that the flow will be down by the weekend, an d I can cruise up to |Henley....where is all this water coming from?

[/ QUOTE ]
I walked up to the lock two weekends ago when the water was lapping over the path and the weir was in full flow. The only things on the water were dozens of gulls floating downstream at a pace, and two rowing eights from WRC, one of which was registered as HEN001. I was looking forward to seeing them turn round but they disappeared behind the island.

benjenbav

Visit site
Saw a couple of kayaks playing in the standing wave immediately downstream of the weir at Marsh Lock the Sunday before last. Quite impressive. Took a photo on my phone but it was too dark for anything to be visible.