Spain bans sailboats due to orc attacks

lask

Visit site
Sailboats less than 15 meters long are prohibited between the ports of Priorino Grande and Estatha de Bares

Spain has temporarily banned the movement of sailboats on part of its northwestern coast, following orc attacks on several vessels in recent weeks.

As of last night, sailing vessels less than 15 meters long have been banned between the ports of Priorino Grande and Estatha de Barres in the Galicia region of northwestern Spain, hundreds of kilometers along the coastline, a measure aimed at protecting "both as well as the oaths ", the Ministry of Transport states in a press release.

After an initial orc attack on a sailboat on August 19, others were recorded, causing damage to the boats, mainly their rudders, the ministry said.

The ban, which is set to last a week, could be extended to other parts of the Orca coastline, a species considered "vulnerable" in Spain.

A video posted on social media shows orcas swimming near a yacht off the coast of Galicia in August before passengers realized the rudder had been damaged.

According to the NGO WWF, orcas can weigh up to 6 tons and reach 10 meters in length, the size of a bus.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
orcas1.jpg

Restringen la navegación de veleros pequeños entre Prioriño y Bares por las orcas

cherod

Visit site
if you could have " faced " checking the " other" thread you would have seen that he exclusion zone was discussed yesterday ,, but no map , also the insulting slagging post was deleted , whither by the poster or mods i know not .

Zing

Visit site
They need to ban the orcas. When bears smash up cars, as they sometimes do in the hunt for food people are not banned from the area.

cherod

Visit site
yes , great idea, get rid of the orcas, the sharks, the polar bears ( all bears ? ) the lions the tigers , the ephalumps , the wasps , the bees the moskys in fact anything which can cause us an inconvenience ,, then it will just be us,,, oh wait a minute , i think we know what that will mean :eek:

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Orcas are a protected species under royal decree in Spain and this seems like a logical and sensible step by the spanish authorities and no doubt taken under scientific advice way beyond many on here.
So what does it do , well it protects sailboats from these incidents and stops people demonising an animal that is in its own habitat and we are the guests ..
So avoid the area and you will have no issues,
As the comment on a rogue bear they are not shot dead they are tranqilised and moved out of the area especially polar bears
We have moved on as a human species and now try and protect our biodiversity rather than getting there elephant gun out
Good for spain that recognise that the minority of the human race that own a sail boat have not got the ocean to themselves nor can they dictate what happens to one of the oceans most majestic animals

Zing

Visit site
Orcas are a protected species under royal decree in Spain and this seems like a logical and sensible step by the spanish authorities and no doubt taken under scientific advice way beyond many on here.
So what does it do , well it protects sailboats from these incidents and stops people demonising an animal that is in its own habitat and we are the guests ..
So avoid the area and you will have no issues,
As the comment on a rogue bear they are not shot dead they are tranqilised and moved out of the area especially polar bears
We have moved on as a human species and now try and protect our biodiversity rather than getting there elephant gun out
Good for spain that recognise that the minority of the human race that own a sail boat have not got the ocean to themselves nor can they dictate what happens to one of the oceans most majestic animals
So I'll punch you in the face next time I meet you. It'll be OK because you will just leave the area where I am located. I sort of like this logic.:)

FlyingGoose

Visit site
So I'll punch you in the face next time I meet you. It'll be OK because you will just leave the area where I am located. I sort of like this logic.:)
No because you would be breaking many laws from the UK , I trust you respect the rule of law in your country, so why are you not respecting Spain's,
One cannot choose the law to suit their needs,
More rudders and serious incidents have happened by yatchs hitting whales on the surface , I see we have not got the deck harpoon out yet.
So your analogy of hitting me or hitting an orca are different in so many ways it seems odd that you would use it