Southerly Any Good In Heavy Weather??

dewent

Visit site
I have been looking at a Southerly 42 with a lifting keel as a move up from my Bavaria 36.

I like the idea of being able to get into some of the more secluded bays and harbours that are current too shallow for us.

Whilst we occasionally have family to help normally there are just the two of us aboard.

As well as the usual coasting around britain I was hoping to undertake some longer passages to Norway and southern Europe.

She that must be obeyed is insisting that we must make sure that our next boat must be kind to us if the weather cuts up a bit rough offshore.

Does anyone have any thoughts about how Southerlys handle in heavy weather?

rotrax

Visit site
I have been looking at a Southerly 42 with a lifting keel as a move up from my Bavaria 36.

I like the idea of being able to get into some of the more secluded bays and harbours that are current too shallow for us.

Whilst we occasionally have family to help normally there are just the two of us aboard.

As well as the usual coasting around britain I was hoping to undertake some longer passages to Norway and southern Europe.

She that must be obeyed is insisting that we must make sure that our next boat must be kind to us if the weather cuts up a bit rough offshore.

Their reputation preceeds them-only the cost appears to be a problem-it was for us anyway!

Pickem

www.skipperforhire.co.uk
I've skippered several deliveries on a Southerly 38 and I must say I was very pleasantly surprised by the performance and would highly recommend their yachts. The lifting keel is great, it meant I could sit on the mooring buoys outside St Katherines Dock, even at low tide, to wait for the dock to open.

Their stability rating and record is very good, one salesman told me you could sail it keel up full main and jib and not have any issues!

I've sailed the 38 in some pretty rough conditions in the Irish Sea and she was one of the most comfortable yachts I'd ever put through similar conditions, albeit with the keel fully down!

Visit site

Big step up! :) Anyway, I'm sure they will handle well but there are some things that no designer can overcome and one of them is freeboard / windage. Like you Bav and most modern boats they are high in the water which doesnt help handling

But to a man intrepid enough to spend 250k on a boat, it wont be a problem.

cardinals

Visit site
I suspect very good - twin rudders means lots of grip upwind and manouverability in tough conditions. Deep swing keel means good upwind performance. Hull form good off wind as well.

Spent plenty of time in F6/7 + in a Feeling 39 swing keel (similar arrangement) and haven't felt too concerned (emphasis on toooo)

Pickem

www.skipperforhire.co.uk
Big step up! :) Anyway, I'm sure they will handle well but there are some things that no designer can overcome and one of them is freeboard / windage. Like you Bav and most modern boats they are high in the water which doesnt help handling

But to a man intrepid enough to spend 250k on a boat, it wont be a problem.

One thing I forgot to mention, handling under power can be tricky. I agree with Bosun Higgs that the high freeboard is an issue, but more so the fact that having twin rudders means that the prop doesn't create wash over the foils. Therefore, to enable to yacht to turn tightly, you have to be making considerable way. The bow thruster helps, but there is only so much it can do!

E39mad

Visit site
It's more than capable for what you want to do and then some.

Some interesting comments about not lifting the keel in heavy weather - actually off the wind by 100% or more I would be lifting the keel up half way esp in heavy wind. Why:

1. Bring centre of effort aft
2. Deep fin = tripping over point - lifting it creates shallow draft and more of a long keel for directional stability
3. The keel is only a third of the ballast - the remainder is in the grounding plate so stability with the keel raised is very good.

In effect sail it as you would a centre board dinghy.

Last edited:

HappyHunter

Visit site
Sailed (actually, motored) a Southerly 42 RST through the Alderney Race in a Force 6 gusting 7, wind against tide. A bit of a bouncy ride but she felt 100% safe throughout. OP should feel free to PM me me for more info about the boat.

chrisedwards

Visit site
Sailed (actually, motored) a Southerly 42 RST through the Alderney Race in a Force 6 gusting 7, wind against tide. A bit of a bouncy ride but she felt 100% safe throughout. OP should feel free to PM me me for more info about the boat.

May I just enquire why you were not sailing please.

chrisedwards

Visit site

Please may I enquire why you were not sailing.

brianhumber

Visit site
One thing I forgot to mention, handling under power can be tricky. I agree with Bosun Higgs that the high freeboard is an issue, but more so the fact that having twin rudders means that the prop doesn't create wash over the foils. Therefore, to enable to yacht to turn tightly, you have to be making considerable way. The bow thruster helps, but there is only so much it can do!

Hmm, can't agree with this, have a 45 foot twin rudder lifting keel jobby and have never found handling a problem in 16 years of ownership. Any wind or tide is a bonus to help you and you soon learn to sideslip or ferry glide into tight berths. Even my wife who admits driving a car or yacht does not come naturally can do it.

As for bowthrusters - I just do not see the need on yachts.

Brian

Visit site
Is there not an argument that a good heavy weather boat would be faster under sail in these conditions?

Highly unlikely. There are few boats these days that will sail more than 40 % faster than they will motor and thats what would be required to compensate for sailing at 45 degrees to where you want to go, dead upwind.

Mind you if you are in a long keeled old banger with a 10hp Stuart Turner then ....................... :D

ANDY123

Visit site
Hmm, can't agree with this, have a 45 foot twin rudder lifting keel jobby and have never found handling a problem in 16 years of ownership. Any wind or tide is a bonus to help you and you soon learn to sideslip or ferry glide into tight berths. Even my wife who admits driving a car or yacht does not come naturally can do it.

As for bowthrusters - I just do not see the need on yachts.

Brian

It's dificult to ferry glide in a marina with no tide running

chrisedwards

Visit site
Highly unlikely. There are few boats these days that will sail more than 40 % faster than they will motor and thats what would be required to compensate for sailing at 45 degrees to where you want to go, dead upwind.

Mind you if you are in a long keeled old banger with a 10hp Stuart Turner then ....................... :D
Sorry can't agree with this

Just think about the context given - a force seven headwind against a furious tide - (The race gets up to 10 knots).

The waves are like small vertical cliffs. Motoring straight over or into them just will not work as well - your proposing motoring "dead upwind" Just think also of the Southerly's windage - your most relevant point made earlier.

And then to turn your last argument on its head - You would get there quicker by putting those waves on your shoulder - ie 45 degrees and sailing. The wind will give you far more power than the engine (unless the Southerly is not a good heavy weather boat).

Perhaps we can compromise and motor sail - thats what I would do!

Last edited:

jimi

Visit site
Sorry can't agree with this

Just think about the context given - a force seven headwind against a furious tide - (The race gets up to 10 knots).

The waves are like small vertical cliffs. Motoring straight into them just will not work - your proposing motoring "dead upwind" Just think also of the Southerly's windage - your most relevant point made earlier.

And then to turn your last argument on its head - You would get there quicker by putting those waves on your shoulder - ie 45 degrees and sailing. The wind will give you far more power than the engine (unless the Southerly is not a good heavy weather boat).

Perhaps we can compromise and motor sail - thats what I would do!

Hmm you'll have the tide behind unless your mad, and motoring will give a fair few surfs ... just to be argumentative!