Southampton Sinking

Elessar

Visit site
Anyone know anything more about http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-13252913 where a boat sank due to a hatch being open? seems a little odd that a hatch being open could sink a boat that fast, was it more rough than I noticed this weekend?
Dave

It was qute windy yesterday and ship and large mobo wash can be significant in southampton water. Some of the fishers that sit out there are teeny.

Visit site
I heard the story on the radio solent news & it immediately made me think of the fancy hatches that you see in some modern fiberglass boats.......probably some modern rear type bathing platform type or maybe one that you open to admire your stern gland as you are going along :rolleyes:

alec348

Visit site
Hi i was the boat that rescued the 4 men and the hatch was not open, what had happend was that the hull just split open at the bow. Hope that helps.

Highland Bear

South Bucks but pining for Scotland / Hamble Point
Visit site
No no no Alec348 that won't do at all!

Coming on here and just laying out the truth like that, and so early in a thread! I mean, what are all the conspiracy theorists and "I know something you don't" and anti-AWB brigades going to do now for a bit of nonsensical chatter?

This really won't do at all. You've completely ruined your heroic rescue of 4 people by just blurting out the facts!

;) by the way!

lustyd

Visit site
Hi i was the boat that rescued the 4 men and the hatch was not open, what had happend was that the hull just split open at the bow. Hope that helps.

Thanks Alec, that makes much more sense than the open hatch.

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com

Coming on here and just laying out the truth like that, and so early in a thread! I mean, what are all the conspiracy theorists and "I know something you don't" and anti-AWB brigades going to do now for a bit of nonsensical chatter?

This really won't do at all. You've completely ruined your heroic rescue of 4 people by just blurting out the facts!

He hasn't mentioned anchors either!

Angele

Visit site
... From the thread title, I was expecting to read that someone has discovered that Southampton was slowly sinking into the Itchen / Test! :eek:

GrahamD

Visit site

;) by the way!

Apparently the SBS at Poole have been training the local seahorses to attack and sink small vessels as a new anti-piracy measure. This was the first live trial and was obviously successful, hence the need for this very rapid publication of the official cover story from Alec348.

They are listening, you know.

Babylon

Visit site
Well done for rescuing the men!

Hi Alec

Thanks for that info, a warm welcome to the forum :) , and well done for rescuing the four men!

By the way, it would be interesting to know what kind of boat you were on and how you recovered the casualties from the water. Were they still able to use their own strength or did you have to haul them aboard?