Southampton Boatshow

Wandering Star

Visit site
First day of the show today, sun shining and forecast good, leaving home now and should be there for mid day so I hope there’s still stuff and boats remaining for sale and the early birds haven’t bought everything before we arrive which would be annoying not to mention a waste of of our day.

laika

Visit site
Report? :)

I've got a berth to find, have a sail to discuss and a transducer to buy so after missing the show last year I'm taking a day off work to go. A little disconcerted talking to a supplier (no names mentioned, but liked by just about everyone that deals with them) saying that after 30 years they're not going to be there this year as visitor numbers have been falling through the floor. Year before last the place definitely seemed sparse. We'll see what it's like this year...

Last edited:

steveeasy

Visit site
was looking forward to buying some new bits for my boat. However the pompos boat broker in my other thread above said my Boat was just old and tired . no point then bothering. How utterly rude. :cry:

Steveeasy

Ammonite

Visit site
Went today. Much quieter than last year and a lot fewer exhibitors. Pontoons still busy and felt like a similar number of boats. Enjoyed my day but I can't see it lasting much longer, at least not in its current format :-(

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
Been there the last two days. My general feeling is that the vendors are dividing into the cheaper and more expensive ends. Lots of dinghies, LJs, inflatables and the entry level, 'messing about in boats' stuff on the entrance.
The marina seems to have a higher proportion of motorboats, and the big ones as well as small. Then there are the massive cats, the usual AWBs - but not many of those.

In the halls, the chandlers, what there were, only have token racks of stuff - I had a list of which I only found one item there, and that was about 20% more than their online price!

Lots of charterers and other services as usual. Nice to see the people who I speak to on the phone (insurance, border force, rnli, cruising association, sail makers etc).

But after that the rest was for people who have a lot more money than me. Machines that go ping in technicolour. Machines that blow your dinghy up. Machines that keep your yacht at the right temperature. As someone who likes a compass, a log and a depth these things are only of passing interest. But that's just me.

I'll go again, but I'm concerned for how long it can keep going in its current form.

justanothersailboat

Visit site
Went today for the first time. Definitely not as busy as I had expected. Had a great time, but it obviously must cost a fortune to put on and unless those expensive motorboats are selling like hot cakes (I have no idea) I wonder how the books can balance. Didn't buy all that much boat stuff to be honest.

Beneteau381

Visit site
Went today for the first time. Definitely not as busy as I had expected. Had a great time, but it obviously must cost a fortune to put on and unless those expensive motorboats are selling like hot cakes (I have no idea) I wonder how the books can balance. Didn't buy all that much boat stuff to be honest.
The internet killed the loverly boat show!

justanothersailboat

Visit site
I just had some big (for me) boat expenses, and my humble boat isn't in the market for some of the very shiny things on show. For online retailers that compete on price I imagine the boat show must be a pain in the backside - lots of show expenses (entry, transport, staff time and quite probably accommodation), disrupting inventory, and then customers expect discounts!

But I spent some on not-strictly-boat things, which may explain why there were quite a lot of sellers of that.

I liked Barton's approach, they're not there to directly sell, but gave me good advice which will cause me to order a fair bit of their hardware.

Wandering Star

Visit site
I went to the show yesterday and thought it was great but am easily pleased when it comes to anything boaty! My only criticism was the lack of signage to the exit route - took me ages to find my way out! We had lovely weather. Enjoyed watching a demo of a jetski performing some amazing acrobatics. Yep, thoroughly enjoyed the show.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Went today. Much quieter than last year and a lot fewer exhibitors. Pontoons still busy and felt like a similar number of boats. Enjoyed my day but I can't see it lasting much longer, at least not in its current format :-(
Gosh, quieter than last year when it was like walking round a grave yard!

I've made a few posts saying last year would be my final visit.

I will be in Southampton on the last day of the show, but don't see me wandering down to take a look.

Bouba

Visit site
Been there the last two days. My general feeling is that the vendors are dividing into the cheaper and more expensive ends. Lots of dinghies, LJs, inflatables and the entry level, 'messing about in boats' stuff on the entrance.
The marina seems to have a higher proportion of motorboats, and the big ones as well as small. Then there are the massive cats, the usual AWBs - but not many of those.

In the halls, the chandlers, what there were, only have token racks of stuff - I had a list of which I only found one item there, and that was about 20% more than their online price!

Lots of charterers and other services as usual. Nice to see the people who I speak to on the phone (insurance, border force, rnli, cruising association, sail makers etc).

But after that the rest was for people who have a lot more money than me. Machines that go ping in technicolour. Machines that blow your dinghy up. Machines that keep your yacht at the right temperature. As someone who likes a compass, a log and a depth these things are only of passing interest. But that's just me.

I'll go again, but I'm concerned for how long it can keep going in its current form.
I think the problem is that you went to a boat show…when you meant to go to the Greenwich Maritime Museum 🤣😜

steveeasy

Visit site
I went yesterday. quite enjoyed it. my friend thought it was bigger than last year. quite a few faces missing this year. Not sure about the jetski and chap flying about on the water with a woman strapped on to him. Think she was some celebrity?. thought it was dangerous and quite frankly whoever carried out a risk assesment needs sacking. both could have been killed if the contraption had failed. why not a little further away from the hazards of boats/pontoons and the crowd. really would have liked to see more boats for sale.

Steveeasy

MikeB.

Visit site
The RNLI chuggers (charity muggers) on the pontoons and by the Old City Walls put me right off. One a huge bloke with ruddy complexion was quite passive aggressive when I said no thanks!
Not quite what I expected from the boat show or the RNLI!

Bouba

Visit site
The RNLI chuggers (charity muggers) on the pontoons and by the Old City Walls put me right off. One a huge bloke with ruddy complexion was quite passive aggressive when I said no thanks!
Not quite what I expected from the boat show or the RNLI!
You’d be grateful if it was his hand being offered to you over the side of an RNLI rib

lustyd

Visit site
The show was much larger than last year, possibly why it looked quiet. No empty space in the halls and the large entertainment space soaked up a lot of people. Consistently long queues at the bars and far fewer filler companies than last year (less hot tubs, garden rooms, home furnishings etc.) and more boat companies.

The large local chandlers have stopped attending but been replaced by smaller ones looking to grow. Realistically people aren't going to shop these days with the Internet, and prices won't be better anyway.

I did notice that, in their attempts to look exclusive, Sunseeker and Princess both had empty boats and empty bars. There were a couple of lonely looking people in the Princess bar when we walked past and I can only assume they were rethinking their choices. The sailing boats were generally very welcoming and had no sign-up nonsense, as were a few motor boats.

Overall I thought it had returned to its old self quite well and certainly back to being busy although I'm sure some will try to report it otherwise.

Boatfolk were their usual welcoming selves and offered us a round of drinks and some crisps. Turns out they don't sponsor Terry on Bumbling Sailor or the Melody crew, those guys just decided to make some videos 🤷‍♀️

steveeasy

Visit site
The show was much larger than last year, possibly why it looked quiet. No empty space in the halls and the large entertainment space soaked up a lot of people. Consistently long queues at the bars and far fewer filler companies than last year (less hot tubs, garden rooms, home furnishings etc.) and more boat companies.

The large local chandlers have stopped attending but been replaced by smaller ones looking to grow. Realistically people aren't going to shop these days with the Internet, and prices won't be better anyway.

I did notice that, in their attempts to look exclusive, Sunseeker and Princess both had empty boats and empty bars. There were a couple of lonely looking people in the Princess bar when we walked past and I can only assume they were rethinking their choices. The sailing boats were generally very welcoming and had no sign-up nonsense, as were a few motor boats.

Overall I thought it had returned to its old self quite well and certainly back to being busy although I'm sure some will try to report it otherwise.

Boatfolk were their usual welcoming selves and offered us a round of drinks and some crisps. Turns out they don't sponsor Terry on Bumbling Sailor or the Melody crew, those guys just decided to make some videos 🤷‍♀️
They like the exposure but not bold enough to stand by them. They(the company) sound just like users which comes as absolutely no surprise. god Ive such a chip on my shoulder now.