Southampton Boat Show Parking

LeonF

Visit site
Any advice on the best car park to use for the show as they aren't running the free park and ride anymore. ? Two years ago I took the train then the bus to the show and it was a blooming long walk from where the bus dropped me to the show entrance. Thanks

Ammonite

Visit site
West Quay. Not a problem in the last few years and the roads have not been noticeable busier than a typical weekend, and certainly not as bad as on the run up to Christmas

wonkywinch

Visit site
I've always walked from the railway station, driving in Southampton is a nightmare.
There have been major changes to the road layout in Southampton (still ongoing). It is very easy to drive down the wrong road and pick up a fine. West Quay parking for us.

ashtead

Visit site
West quay and if you are not bringing a picnic to soak up any drinks consumed then a few sandwiches from m&S before you enter the show is a wise investment as unless it’s massively improved catering is dire -even the Henley river classic boat show does better food at a fraction of size and there is a limit to number of free crisps you can eat on the Boatfolk or such like stand.

Neeves

Visit site
I'll be interested in the overall impressions.

I went to the Sydney show in August, our second biggest show, and the sailing components was but a shadow of its former self and people like Lewmar did not even have a stand. Companies like Manson, Ronstan and Anchor Right, and other smaller suppliers, deck hardware, windlass, rope manufacturers, sailmakers who would have had, at least small, booths in the past were simply not there.

As I mentioned on another thread I did not see one Epsilon nor Lewmar's clone of the Fortress and as new products for Lewmar I would have expected 'something'.

I'm not sure how the markets compare but our population is about 50% of that in the UK and, generalising, most Australian live in coastal cities or towns.

Jonathan

ashtead

Visit site
Most Australian yachts from say Moody brand I see advertised are at a premium to UK prices ,I guess due to shipping or taxes but maybe an Australian retains more pay after tax than the average UK taxpayer? Presumably marina charges are cheaper than those found around Soton as well.as for smaller stands certainly at Soton the exhibitor charges have driven out many small players I suspect or the returns don’t cover the outlay. I haven’t ever really looked at anchors or winches though and while for many I’m sure the presence of raymarine or Garmin stands attract it always used to be the smaller retailers which added flavour.

MikeB.

Visit site
Dock gate 4 has a boat show parking sign today.
Good advice about food above.
Once inside the show be aware of the RNLI chuggers - particularly the large chap with a ruddy complexion - he gets quite passive aggressive when you say no thanks.
Today they were working their way towards the entrance, yesterday they were on the pontoons.