Southampton anchorages

jimboaw

Visit site
been away now for over 6 years but there is a slim chance we may sail back for a visit this summer. We are allergic to Marinas, those owned by MDL in particular being ex O.V. residents. Where can I anchor out these days? Used to be allowed just off the boat show site and up past the Itchen bridge. Need 6 foot of water or 4 and very soft mud!!

Stingo

Visit site
Try Osborne Bay. I know someone that dragged up a spare Danforth with 75m of chain as they tried to leave.... (those of you that are going to send me a PM claiming ownership of said Danforth, it wasn't really a Danforth and there wasn't really 75m of chain, but if you send me the correct details and a paper bag stuffed full of money, I'll point you in the correct direction) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.stingo.co.uk>http://www.stingo.co.uk</A> - now showing at a computer near you

jimboaw

Visit site
Some facts? I would love to have the details of your so called "facts" that would make any marina operator allergic to me. I have never left a bill unpaid or caused any disturbance or damage in any marina anywhere. Please explain your rather rude personal attack or apologise.

clyst

Visit site
It seems to me Mr Watson sir that lately when someone grumbles about MDL your reply posts get very personal towards that person!! Please note Mr Watson these grumbles are not a personal attack on YOU so why do you reply as if they are??
I am not a marina user by choice but I have to say that IMHO your attitude sometimes is not becoming of that of a caring MD .

Regards

Terry

stevebirch2002

www.albinvega.co.uk
I can assure you that there are many more sailors allergic to MDL and with good cause. Having sailed all over Western Europe it is only in the UK that one or two companies have monopolised the marinas and thus cause a supply and demand pricing system. In Holland, Denmark, Sweden etc I find that a good marina will charge about £5 - £10 for a night with a yearly fee of about £500 (Prices based on a 10M yacht). Luckily I do not have to depend on marinas in The Solent. I await your reply with bated breath......

Albin Vega "Southern Comfort" V1703

Stingo

Visit site
Re: John Watson

At least John Watson sometimes replies to criticisms of MDL. Will be interested to see his reply this personal attack.

Would be more interested if a God from Dean & Reddyhoff replied to some of the criticisms of Haslar that have done the rounds on this forum

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.stingo.co.uk>http://www.stingo.co.uk</A> - now showing at a computer near you

Stingo

Visit site
Re: Row, row, row the boat ashore

<<How long does it take to row your tender from Osborne Bay to Southampton?>>

Oh, not long. I would imagine it would not be more than a few days. Might be more if you're dragging a grumbling SWMBO along... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
I think (but I'm not sure) that boats can anchor off the Netley foreshore in some places. Not a great place to be though. Or try asking clubs like Marchwood if they have a spare mooring at the time you want.

Mind you, after the Rainbow Warrior stunt reported here, it's likely to become more difficult.

Magic_Sailor

Visit site
Poor old Jimboaw

Didn't get much info on Soton anchorages did he. Netley ugh. Osborn even ugher (often a lot of swell).

A short way up Beauliey River can be nice.
The right spot at the right time of year in Newtown can be very nice - but a bit difficult for Soton.

Magic

jimboaw

Visit site
Re: Poor old Jimboaw

You can say that again! . Can anybody at least confirm that it is possible to anchor off Mayflower Park or even up the Itchen near Northam Bridge?

jwatson

Visit site
Oh good grief, I am amazed my posting could possibly wind up someone who is anonymous. Guilty conscience?
As for the 'apology' you seek, you could be my ex-mother in law for all I know.
Keep smiling,
J

jwatson

Visit site
Terry, it's the anonymous folk who really get my goat. They could be anyone with any axe to grind....
Everyone who has met me knows I am a fair and reasonable type. I do let my frustration show from time to time as to what I see as totally unfair criticism, crass comments or muck raking. Perhaps I should not bother entering public debates on forums such as these and just concentrate on serving my existing customers??
Cheers,
John

jimi

Visit site
John, please do'nt do that. You give an extra valued perspective to many of these debates and I certainly respect you for sticking your head above the parapet!

Keep smiling

Jim

BrendanS

Visit site
Don't let them get your goat! Keep above it. When you descend to their level you give them ammunition to reinforce their beliefs.

We welcome your contribution to the forum, and as mentioned, the fact that you put your head above the parapet.

clyst

Visit site
John . Dont get me wrong, I have often admired the way in which you enter into the discussions relating to marinas and fight your corner when it comes to matters concerning MDL and I hope you will continue to do so! Just please read the post as they are intended ,they are not personally aimed at you and the arguement that you put up against this particular poster is a bit weak. Anonymous or not your post does indicate you KNOW this person and your attack on him was agressive and personal.This is not the first time you have entered into personal slanging matches with posters and as the MD of of such a high profile company I am sure many posters regard you as speaking for MDL . please take my comments as constructive criticism and not a personal attack on you .

Cheers

Terry

EdEssery

Visit site
Just off Marchwood port, in the lee of a boat called "Rainbow Warrior" should be just fine.

;)

P.S. If you're boat is grey and looks like it might be capable of transporting war supplies, I'd go elsewhere - there's some folk around with spray cans...