Somewhere to Leave a Boat

WoodyP

Visit site
I have a cunning plan that will I hope enable us to have a few days away from home.
Please could I have your suggestions as to a suitably economical place (other than the usual marinas) to leave our 30 foot twin keeler for a couple of weeks. We will come round from the Wash and will welcome your suggestions as to somewhere safe and convenient to park up until the following weekend.

I was thinking of Lowestoft so we could call in Southwold on the way down and welcome Gordy Brown to his holiday /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif before nipping down to Aldborough, and then leaving her for another week. After that, as the mood takes us we may turn round or head further south to the Deben and beyond.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions. Knowing how encouraging you lot are, I look forward to perhaps meeting you when we arrive for a small /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. No dates yet, but sometime in August.
Best wishes

Sixpence

Visit site
Hi Woody, can't help with any suggestions but it looks like we may be making the trip at about the same time, looking forward to a possible get together and meet sometime, if we can both make the timings together.
Cheers
Dave

bromleybysea

Visit site
I found Upson's boatyard at Aldborough very helpful when I needed to leave a boat there a couple of years ago- in fact i laid up for the winter and they fitted a new engine. Very nice peeps to do business with. They have moorings in the river and may be able to help.

WoodyP

Visit site
Upsons looks like a good stop over, but I need to be convenient for the car or train. Is the trip up river to Snape do-able. We are twin keel 1.3m, so lack of water at low tide is no great problem.
Thanks,
G.

WoodyP

Visit site
Flipper,
I'm sure that the harbour master at Brightlingsea is very pleased that you let out his secret about being accomodating /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
That wasn't the sort of secure berth I was looking for /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

WoodyP

Visit site
Moody,
I have been into Titchmarsh before when a friend kept his yacht there. It looked very secure. Thanks for the suggestion.
G.

phatcat1

Visit site
The marina at Shotley point will/can do deals if you need to leave a boat, unsure of costs, but if they have spaces, they are willing to do a deal! Well worth asking!

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
[ QUOTE ]
they have spaces, they are willing to do a deal!

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I've seen/experienced recently, that's the case for most marinas right now.

There's plenty of vacant berths everywhere. And due to recent crap weather, it's safe to assume that not everyone's out sailing.
Marinas I contacted 3 years ago and which I had ruled out as 'too expensive' are now getting back to me -out of the blue - with much more reasonable prices.
Something I will pursue with vigour if still around next year.

Slow_boat

My own cosy little world where nice things happen
Visit site
Try the watersports activity centre at Bradwell. I think they run, or know who runs, the moorings in the river as opposed to the marina. You can easily get a cab from there to Burnham for the train.

Come to that, maybe Rice and Cole at Burnham could help out.

I don't know about you, but £95 for six nights boat storage at Titchmarsh, albeit comparatively reasonable, still seems like a lot of money to me!

So much so that I went back on the Thursday and took mine out into the river waiting for the weather to break on the Saturday. Saved me thirty quid, which is better in my pocket than theirs.

MoodySabre

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Try the watersports activity centre at Bradwell. I think they run, or know who runs, the moorings in the river as opposed to the marina. You can easily get a cab from there to Burnham for the train.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bradwell Outdoors (click) do have some moorings in the creek. I don't know if they are available short term though. Trains run from Southminster which is only half the distance to Burnham.

Zippysigma

Visit site
I went up to Snape a few weeks ago - interesting trying to figure out which side of each whithy to go - got it wrong twice!

Stayed the night on the Quay, and they were very friendly (did not charge for one night)- 2 or 3 long term barges there and the mud was flat so we sat upright at low tide.