Someone wants to buy my boat - a spam email?

Bathdave

Visit site
I had this weird email today from Dr Marco C Jeremy, who says he got my email address on line and he needs to buy a nice boat urgently ....kindly get back if my email is valid.

I can only think that my email address has somehow been intercepted in some way connected with boaty things ...has anyone else had something similar?

jwilson

Visit site
I had this weird email today from Dr Marco C Jeremy, who says he got my email address on line and he needs to buy a nice boat urgently ....kindly get back if my email is valid.

I can only think that my email address has somehow been intercepted in some way connected with boaty things ...has anyone else had something similar?
He's probably got a friend who can arrange postage of the boat once he has given you a bank draft.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Get these from time to time.
Have no boat to sell.

When previous boat was on the market, I stupidly replied.
Would buy my boat - unseen - I only had to sail it to Nigeria :rolleyes:

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
When I was selling our boat I got and email asking for boat details . It was obviously a scam but I played along. A few emails swapped later and he said the boat would be collected by courier - 12 tons of steel ketch. I thought that was very funny and I was glad I played him along, it is worth doing occasionally.

Bathdave

Visit site
Well it is obviously a scam, I guess what I was getting at that somehow he seems to have got my email address in connection with boating, and I was trying to work out where he had got it from

I was browsing the other place (''not the lounge') the evening before and clicked on a link on one of the posts there, which seemed to go into some weird place. I pondered whether this was the source of the leak.

ianj99

Visit site
Its another in a long list of phishers trying to get your bank details. "you've been left money by long lost relative", "you won money in a overseas lottery," "you've been awarded a share in...", "you are due a tax refund" etc.
Also "click the link to arrange delivery of a Fedex packet" and recently, many telling me I am due in court so must open the attachment to get the details or the judge will decide in my absence.

Notice their change of tack: from greed/ temptation to harassment & intimidation...

Unfortunately both must work or they'd have given up although I'd have thought everyone was aware of them by now. I really don't understand why anyone would give their bank details to a complete stranger, no matter how plausible they sounded, but do it and you are doomed. Doomed because technically you are then complicit in money laundering because you must have known that you were not due any money and did it for personal gain....

Last edited: