Some dodgy weather in Lakka, Paxos

AndrewB

Visit site
Great clips, Cariadco. We had a strong blow here in Gouvia as well for about 30 minutes. These thunderstorm squalls are to be expected at this time of the year in the Ionian, each year generally brings a couple. (Nothing like the Medicane, though, that we had In September 2018!)

The holding is good on sand in Lakka, so slippage really means poor anchor technique. And, for once overcrowding couldn't be blamed.

That recovery in the second clip reminds me of similar grounding we took in the ICW Florida, caused not by a storm but by a tug storming past us along the dredged channel, so we were bounced by its wake up the mud bank and over on one side at a mighty angle. Recovered from that not by blasting the engine, but laying out the anchor as far as we could and winching ourselves off.

jordanbasset

Visit site
Agree with the above, we have been in Lakka many times and it has been fine, but on one occasion a squall started pretty much as in the above video. People get caught out by the idyllic surroundings, drop too little chain and or don't bother to dig it in
Wonder if there was any structural damage to the yacht?
In fairness to the bloke at the front the anchor chain looks to go tight a couple of times so they may be using both the anchor and engines to help get them off

mikegunn

Visit site
I’ve always been amazed by the number of visitors to Lakka who just drop the anchor to the sea bed without ensuring that their anchor is dug in, and then go ashore. The holding there is very good because the sand is firm. However that means that the anchor usually takes a bit of encouragement to start burying. I’ve seen similar chaos there on several occasions. If I’ve ever seen a boat near me not bothering to set their anchor I’ve usually dived to have a look, for peace of mind. Invariably I’ve found anchors just sitting on the surface of the sand, ready to slide along at the slightest provocation. Fortunately a bit of a waggle on the anchor’s shank has usually been enough to start the pointy end burying.
Mike

RupertW

Visit site
It seemed to me that the main ones in trouble were lying on long lines to shore and not free anchoring - but even they were holding but very scarily laid over.

mikegunn

Visit site
It seemed to me that the main ones in trouble were lying on long lines to shore and not free anchoring - but even they were holding but very scarily laid over.
I’ve often anchored and taken lines ashore on the starboard side as you enter the bay. I had a catamaran then which only drew 1.1 meters so I could go fairly close to the rocks. As long as the bow anchor is biting into the sand it’s a bombproof anchorage because the rocks aren’t going to move. The water is usually very clear there so it’s not essential to dive on the anchor.
Mike

alexsailor

Visit site
Bad weather was expected and I would never choose Lakka! Never! Too many boats (even this season). We were there on 8th of July. Sunny day with strong NW. It was not crowded but you see all kind of techniques of anchoring. One “skipper” had 40m of chain, another 5m.. We left... Not a safe place. Good holding does not help if you have idiots around.

Tony Cross

Visit site
That grounding is right next to the bar in the corner I think? Many years ago it was Akis Bar. We were in there once sheltering from a similar blow and a Sunsail yacht dragged at some speed towards us and heading for Akis Bar in that corner. The charterers were in town and couldn't see the boat. It slid down our port side and the anchor fouled on my chain which stopped it. I had SWMBO start our engine to take our load off my anchor and myself and a guy from another yacht dinghied over to the Sunsail yacht. Fortunately it was a Jeanneau Sun Odyssey and my 'key' started the engine. Between us we raised the anchor without pulling mine out, re positioned the yacht and re-anchored her safely. Just as we'd done the charterers raced up in their rib and accused me of trying to steal their yacht!!

alexsailor

Visit site
I am not sure but right now, there is quite a large storm W od Paxi. Maybe it will loose strenght otherwise we'll see some more videos.

viberimage2020-08-0810-0.jpg

Yngmar

Visit site
There was definitely some Russian swearing from the Latvian boat going on :LOL:

I pity the lady and teenage boy whose job it was to hold a fender each for half an hour while being blasted with wind, rain and perhaps even hail (was there hail?). They'll probably not be keen to book that holiday again.

Yngmar

Visit site
Two massive fronts just passed over Vonitsa. We re-anchored from the crowded anchorage behind the bridge and dodged a bullet. According to our friends who stayed, two boats dragged through where we had been and lightning struck the water there ?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Two massive fronts just passed over Vonitsa. We re-anchored from the crowded anchorage behind the bridge and dodged a bullet. According to our friends who stayed, two boats dragged through where we had been and lightning struck the water there ?
Seen you having a interesting time in Greece this year .

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Lakka always been of bays that if a storm hits all hell going to be let loose.
The enclose bay gives a false sense of security ,add to that the bay always over crowed there nothing but carnage that can happen when a storm hit .
Looking at the clips I surprise there wasn't more problems .

wwalsh

Visit site
The Port Authority of Paxos was informed, in the morning hours on 05-08-2020, that in the bay of Mogonisiou, Paxos island, the sailboat "VIRGINIA 12" flag of France, was swept away due to intense local weather phenomena.
As a result, grounded in shallow water near the coast, as well as the contact of its sail with an aerial cable of the PublicPowerCorporation network and the cause of an explosion.
Officers of the relevant Port Authority went directly to the area, with a patrol boat. and found that the above boat had cut the PPC cable and with the assistance of another boat had been detached from the shallows.
The boat with two passengers was taken to the port of Mogonisiou, Paxos, where it moored safely with their passengers in good health, while the Commander of "VIRGINIA 12" who was arrested, declared mechanical damage to the boat.
His departure was prohibited by the relevant Port Authority until the presentation of a seaworthiness certificate. The incident did not cause any water inflow and no marine pollution was observed.

38mess

Visit site
When anchoring in shallow water I always get someone to dive down and dig the anchor in. When I first chartered in Corfu in the autumn of 2013 we had a great holiday, our boat, a Bavaria 52 was a bit of a handful as I was the only sailor onboard, but fun. Anyway sailing from paxos back to gouvia at the end of the holiday I noticed a black cloud over the mainland, it blotted out everything. Within ten minutes it hit us, good job we were motoring, first waves, then wind upto 50 knts then rain, couldn't see the front of the boat., Heeling right over, very scary, very dark. 20 minutes later, beautiful sunny calm weather.
Apparently this is common in the autumn in Corfu. Wished I done my research before.

Yngmar

Visit site
Seen you having a interesting time in Greece this year .

Never had a boring season yet, no matter where! Like they say, adventure before dementia ?

Our friends who stayed at our old anchorage are now reporting problems with their electronics after the nearby lightning strike ?

I'm just trying to imagine the swearing going on when that boat hit the power line whilst being aground....