Solent Slipways

jrn

Visit site
Has anyone experience of the slipways at Hamble Point marina or Mercury Yacht haven? Are they suitable for launching a Fletcher 19? Are they very steep as we only have a Freelander with no low ratio gearbox and therefore gets tired on steep slipways - needed help from a car as well when used the slipway in Windsor recently as it was quite rutted!! Which marina is best for a weeks stay?
Any help would be appreciated.

BarryH

Visit site
Go to www.boatlaunch.co.uk This site lists loads of slipways all over the country, with a specific detailed map of the solent. Gives piccys of ther slipway directions and what sort of craft can use it.

I've used swanwick, free piblic slip. Then left the trailer and car at Moodys in a sucure compound. Costs about £20 a week for both. Good luck

Wha'dya mean "I'm always playing with this engine" its the only way to get it to run!

G

I have used Hamble Point to launch our 28ft sports cruiser with a discovery, my input for what its worth.

Slipway is wide and has a nice gradual gradient. Although the slipway is regularly cleaned of slime build up the tide always leaves the usual scum line, this can be quite slippy for the 3ft that it covers ( HDC works quite well over it)

There is a slipway attendent with a tractor for hire as required.

Cars and trailers can be stored on site (ours suffered no damage over a 2 week period)

And now the bad news, tidal flow can be extreamly strong and if this is combined with a decent amount of wind, recovery becomes impossible. (After 7 or 8 attempts at recovery and several gel coat dings I gave up and had the boat craned out)

Last time I looked at Mercury was 2 years ago. Agree with comments about sheltered easy slip but access road was very tight and slip was very silted up. I could not have launched or recovered the boat on this slip.

I think for a biggish trail boat Hamble point is the best bet. (Recover and launch at high slack water.)

We did'nt stay at Hamble point but we did stay at Mercury, nice pontoons, excellent showers and washing facillities.

Hope this helps

andrewbarker

Visit site
I've used Mercury many times with a 21 footer- never any problems except the hassle of getting down the Hamble. Never been charged either!
There's also a slip at Town Quay Southampton right into the marina - 100% sheltered but not any good at low water because it falls away but apart from that, it's hardly ever used & is in "as new" condition.

terryw

Visit site
There is a slip next to the Itchen bridge. Our 25ft was launched from here off the back of a Discovery at 3 hours after high water. I am told that most of the "trailered boats" in the Southampton Boat Show are launched and recovered here.

sjnewport

www.sjnewlaptop.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
Used Mercury at half term recently with falcon 23 and sealine 218 both using 4x4's.
Very gradual slope so on recovery both men went paddling up to their knees !!!
Nice marina though,slipping costs and one nights moorings and trailer and car storage for 1 week was £28.
Beaulieu is also a good one,we used it last year.A bit more expensive though.but in sheltered river.
Picture of this one on boat launch web site mentioned before.
We also had problems at Windsor Marina at easter.!!
Mercury definately better than that.
Also saw a small sail boat launched at Hythe with no problems although when I posted on forum about using it people put me off as they had heard of trouble there with youngsters and worried about car and trailer safety.
Cindy