Solent Coastguard, testing, testing 123

PhillM

Visit site
Heard this today at least twice, Seemed a bit strange, why not ask another area for a radio check?

Also, recieved a pan pan DSC message from solent Coastguard, followed by a voice announcement, but towards the end the radio operator made a mistake and it seemed the throw him completely.

Neither what I would have expected.

Topcat47

Visit site
The crew at Fareham are slowly getting better, but I"ve heard three "mayday" calls in the last six weeks or so and they've not called "Silonce" on any of them, leaving Ch16 open for communication. There seem to be a couple of senior, experienced operators still but my impression is that the others are working from a script which has been imperfectly learned.

ShinyShoe

Visit site
Did the MayDay justify Silence.

Not uncommon down souf' for some namby pambie moto boattor to hit the red button and start squalking mayday because his engine has stopped and he can't leave his anchorage. CG can't cancel the MayDay but if it sounds like there is no genuine threat to life or property perhaps you don't impose silence.

Equally everyone else should be imposing it automatically so the only need for CG to impose it is for "out of range" stations.

DannyB

Visit site
Last Monday I heard Belfast coastguard calling Mayday relay, but not Seelonce, after it was all over they called Seelonce Fini. I thought it a bit strange.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
I have always assumed, and indeed understood, that Seelonce Mayday was implicit. Or to put it another way, if a mayday is in progress on Ch.16 I would assume that Seelonce was in effect until the mayday was dealt with

So I'd only expect to hear the CG explicitly state "Seelonce Mayday" if stations not involved in the mayday were transmitting on 16 (either because they were unaware of the ongoing mayday or ignorant of the proper procedure )

Am I alone in thinking this????

ShinyShoe

Visit site
I have always assumed, and indeed understood, that Seelonce Mayday was implicit. Or to put it another way, if a mayday is in progress on Ch.16 I would assume that Seelonce was in effect until the mayday was dealt with

So I'd only expect to hear the CG explicitly state "Seelonce Mayday" if stations not involved in the mayday were transmitting on 16 (either because they were unaware of the ongoing mayday or ignorant of the proper procedure )

Nope. So in the West Coast thats what will happen. On the South Coast it'll be about 30 seconds till hte mayday staion is overspoken by some muppet with a radio check.

Plum

Visit site

You are not alone in thinking that.

Colin. Www.solocoastalsailing.co.UK

agurney

agurney.com

That's my understanding and experience.
Seelonce Mayday is effectively a public rap on the knuckles.

johnalison

Visit site
Seelonce Mayday is effectively a public rap on the knuckles.

Although that is often true, it can be possible for a vessel to switch on a radio, listen for a minute, and then find that a mayday is in progress. It has never happened to me, but I don't always feel in a position to pass judgement when seelonce is called.

ShinyShoe

Visit site
I don't think seelonce needs a judgement passed but it is like the librarian saying "shoosh" you probably should have known!

I suspect the reason its never happened to johnalison is because he knows how to use a radio and there are some inbuilt logic that means you are less likely to burst in on a Mayday:

* You have 16 on all the time rather than switching it on immedieately before a transmit. When you arrive at the boat as part of the "undressing" process (opening hatches, seacocks, whatever else you are checking prior to slipping a mooring line) you switch on the VHF. That means its listening for maybe 10 minutes before you get to it to transmit.
* You don't talk on 16 if you don't need to - pre-arranged working channel with friends, using 67 in the Solent for routine traffic to SCG
* You don't use SCG for radio checks

Now of course there may be times you've been exchanging info with your mates on a working channel, perhaps changing your plans for the day and want to update the CG on that change. So you switch to 16 (because you aren't in the Solent) and call them up only to discover that an incident has opened up while you were on your working channel. My view has always been that on 16 we should marginally amend the protocol so I would call like this: "Humber Coastguard, this is Squidgy RIB, Squidgy RIB. Routine Traffic. Over" So they instantly know to direct me to 67/73 rather than coming back with: "Squidgy RIB this is Humber CG, go ahead this channel or go 6-7 for routine traffic, Over" and me then coming back with "Humber CG, Squidgy RIB 6-7 out." I think it also means in any situation, Mayday, Pan, something that generally sounds more important than me... ...they can tell me to wait.

Giblets

Visit site
* You don't use SCG for radio checks.

Good call. It staggers me (in the Solent) why people don't call NCI Gosport, Lee on Solent, Calshot or Needles on channel 65 for their radio checks. Then again I have often wondered why the CG don't broadcast a tone or beep at say every 30 seconds during a Mayday situation so that others know what is going on.

Cantata

Visit site
Why do people do radio checks every time they go sailing? I call the local CG for a check once each year when I have re-installed the set after winter lay-up. That's it. It works.

Sybarite

Visit site
....the others are working from a script which has been imperfectly learned.

I have referred to a near death experience by Daniel Fournier (YM May) and the explosion of his yacht in August 2014. Not able to reach his VHF he tried his cell phone and although it was not showing any connection bars somebody replied. This person launched into a checklist of questions and he had to really lose his temper to get the person to note his position as a priority without which the rest would not have had any significance.

Giblets

Visit site
Why do people do radio checks every time they go sailing? I call the local CG for a check once each year when I have re-installed the set after winter lay-up. That's it. It works.

I do wonder if some of them make the call to let their friends know they are out and about. You sometimes hear the calling yacht being called by another very soon after the radio check.

mlines

www.sportsboat.org.uk

That assumes your radio setup only fails during the winter lay-up.

I dont check every time, particularly if the radio has been used to actually talk to someone. However a few checks across the season will help prevent that horrible silence just when you want it to work. The damp, vibration and corrosive atmosphere in the marine environment is not good for electrics.