mpprh

www.the-languedoc-page.com
Hi

Can anyone give tips about this :
Likely life ?
Likely price of replacement ?
Material ?
Colour

The boat is 35ft and the genoa is about 150%. It was quite old and faded and the boat is in the water year round.

Reason for asking is that I caught in a bit of a blow and the protection strip shredded .... I think while sailing with about 25% of the sail area.

Peter

<hr width=100% size=1>

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I assume you are talking about a UV strip attached to the leech of the genoa?

Life: how long is a piece of string? entirely depends on where you are based. But for Northern Europe you can reckon on anything between 5 - 10 years. Tropics I guess a lot less.

Price: I replaced one about 8 years ago, when it cost 100 pounds. It depends on the construction of the sail, some requiring a lot less work than others.

Material: usually seems to be a cotton/dacron mix. Relatively cheap and as UV resistant as possible.

Colour: seems to be immaterial. White may reflect the sun a little more and doesn't fade. Blue seems most popular, followed by red. Most seem to match other canvas on board.

You could consider a separate cover tied full length with a shoe-lace type lashing. These are quite popular in Europe, maybe less so in UK. Need to be tied tightly to avoid flapping in high winds.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sybarite

Visit site
I am getting a quote to replace mine this afternoon. I will let you know ( my boat is 30'). I had it replaced a few years ago and I remember that it was not all that expensive.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sybarite

Visit site
I have had a quote for valeting the main (seriously "fatiguée) and genoa and repairing the UV strip for €150.

John.

<hr width=100% size=1>

mpprh

www.the-languedoc-page.com
Hi

Well, seems to be cheaper in France than UK !

If I'm taking the genoa off the furler and taking it in for replacement of the strip, it's worth a service at the same time.

The boat is in Port Camargue, so the solar protection has plenty of work to do (300+ sunny days per year). Guess it has died on the job !

Peter

<hr width=100% size=1>

DepSol

Visit site
get a furling sock to extend the life of them and keep it clean and in good condition.

There are some out there which roll back down into there own bag when not in use.

<hr width=100% size=1>Dom

Now where is that Brendan hiding?

Gunfleet

Visit site
So where, oh king of the bargains, does one find a furling sock, apart from commissioning a sailmaker?

<hr width=100% size=1>