Solar panel question. Do I have a faulty panel?

Oscarpop

Visit site
I have 2 100w solar panels mounted on my Bimini.

They both worked flawlessly for two years.

Now one doesn't seem to want to produce power.
In full sunshine they both used to produce 5amps.

Now one produces 5 amps, while the other produces anything between zero and three amps.

I have tried changing the panels over to ensure the wiring is not at fault. One panel still produces less power.

I phoned the people I purchased them from ,who contacted the manufacturer. They suggested checking the output voltage and current using a voltmeter.

Both panels are outputting 19.7v , so the voltage output is identical.

Any ideas?

Trident

Visit site
If they're wired together you'll see the 19.7 v on both from one as it were unless they're disconnected and individually tested. However, it can still produce volts but no amps. The only easy way to test is to disconnect the working panel and try the questionable one alone to see if it puts amp in; if it does then cover it partially and see if the amps changes. If it makes any amps at all its working at least partially - by moving the cover along rows you can see if any are not working as most modern panels have diodes in that will allow the panel to lose each row of cells if one is at fault without losing the whole panel.

Oscarpop

Visit site
Du
If they're wired together you'll see the 19.7 v on both from one as it were unless they're disconnected and individually tested. However, it can still produce volts but no amps. The only easy way to test is to disconnect the working panel and try the questionable one alone to see if it puts amp in; if it does then cover it partially and see if the amps changes. If it makes any amps at all its working at least partially - by moving the cover along rows you can see if any are not working as most modern panels have diodes in that will allow the panel to lose each row of cells if one is at fault without losing the whole panel.

Individually, the questionable panel produces the same voltage as the good panel.

It's just the current across my ammeter is very low or nothing at all.

Is this indicative of a failed panel?

Other threads that may be of interest