www.facebook.com
Enjoyed this season so far.

Weather has been interesting

11825601_1145634205463547_8727681353042734798_n.jpg

It has gone from this to

11257936_1118297591530542_8862928332353642633_n.jpg

to this in 30 mins.

11537800_1118297594863875_1454380169036891897_n.jpg

we had a - 0.1low tide. This was the entrance to hythe marina.

11071141_1060506940642941_6022803717254838985_n.jpg

and then we have evenings like this.

17768_1095983403761961_1736865386103805152_n.jpg

so how you season been ?

Vitesse

Visit site
Hasn't been wonderful due to the wind. We've had pretty good weather (August excepted) otherwise.

We went out for a few hours fishing yesterday evening and got the sort of experience that reminds us how good it can be. Being the last boat out in the late evening gloom with the sun setting over Bolt Head was magical.

Last edited:

dj43

Visit site
We always enjoy our time on our boat, if we get good weather that's a bonus it is England :). have to agree with whitelighter why helm up top in bad weather, when you can be in the dry and warm below, saying that swmbo is always the last to come in as she prefers being on the fly, much like most by the sound of

Seastoke

Visit site
we did a 7 hour cruise on the fly from conwy to whitehaven with the right weather gear on ,raggies do it all the time ,maybe move to the med or get a caravan ,when i had a sports cruiser i would dream of a fly ,and it has come a reality ,on top for me always .r

Whitelighter

Visit site
we did a 7 hour cruise on the fly from conwy to whitehaven with the right weather gear on ,raggies do it all the time ,maybe move to the med or get a caravan ,when i had a sports cruiser i would dream of a fly ,and it has come a reality ,on top for me always .r

Yes fine, so why do we go to the expense f an inside helm? Raggies do it as they have no choice (mostly). If you got rid of the inside helm it would save a load on build costs and you could put a nice dinette up there.

Like the yanks do

Seastoke

Visit site
Yes fine, so why do we go to the expense f an inside helm? Raggies do it as they have no choice (mostly). If you got rid of the inside helm it would save a load on build costs and you could put a nice dinette up there.

Like the yanks do

god knows the guy who designed mine maybe dead , its about choice ,like shafts v legs one engine ,v 2 ,

alt

Visit site

This is the conundrum I face at the minute. I want a flybridge, so I can helm inside (but also have proper 'inside' space in the evening), but I know well i'll be up on the fly all the time in the carp Irish weather... at least with the sports cruiser even when it's bucketing down i'm find under the canopy with the heat on in a t-shirt.

Jurgen

Visit site
Have only been out in good ish weather so far but am glad we have a lower helm as it is almost certain that we will get caught out at some point, however saying that I would much prefer to be on the flybridge while berthing even in the rain

Bojangles

Visit site
My main problem this year hasn't really been the weather, it's been finding time but the times at the boat have been great. A couple of weeks ago we had a nice cruise, seen loads of wildlife and then enjoyed an outdoor dip in lovely 35c clear blue water (courtesy of our marina's new leisure complex with outdoor infinity pool..)
Portavadie%20infinity%20pool.png

prv

Visit site
we had a - 0.1low tide. This was the entrance to hythe marina.

And this was the Brambles :):
P1010518_zpsulkngig7.jpg

The occasion being a spot of cricket:
P1010524_zpsqtjkfviq.jpg

Not a bad turnout:
P1010529_zpscucucgnt.jpg

Sadly the bank seems to have shrunk lately - seven or eight years ago I remember dragging a Wayfarer up a fairly convincing beach and having a substantial dry area to wander about on...

Pete

Momac

Visit site
I have clocked up 100 engine hours this year and regard it as one of our best years if not the best.
Had two weeks end of June/early July and the weather varied between okay and so glorious it was like being in the med - we had to go and buy some sun hats.
Otherwise only affected by the weather a couple of times - too windy.
I did steer from the lower helm a couple of occasions this year to get out of the rain - including August bank holiday Monday.

Having had our flybridge boat a year now , after previously owning a sports cruiser , I am a convert to flybridge layout for the UK weather .

Greg2

Visit site
This is the conundrum I face at the minute. I want a flybridge, so I can helm inside (but also have proper 'inside' space in the evening), but I know well i'll be up on the fly all the time in the carp Irish weather... at least with the sports cruiser even when it's bucketing down i'm find under the canopy with the heat on in a t-shirt.

Brooms (and others) got this sussed some time ago. Did away with inside helms leaving oodles of space below and a sports cruiser type cockpit at a similar height to a flybridge....but with the option of shelter or fresh air. Just saying :)

Hurricane

Visit site
What I've never understood is in horrid weather the number of people still touching it out on the fly - as in pic 2.

So why do we have internal helms if no one seems to use them

Your post reminded me of a certain occasion at least 8 years ago.
Late Saturday night in January (I think)
Trip from the Hamble to Poole.
The "lookout" was definitely on the flybridge - IIRC :D:D

Solitaire

Visit site
And this was the Brambles :):

Sadly the bank seems to have shrunk lately - seven or eight years ago I remember dragging a Wayfarer up a fairly convincing beach and having a substantial dry area to wander about on...

Pete

It not only seems, it has! I have charts showing drying height of 1.3, the latest Solent Chart shows 0.9 and I suspect with the dredging going on this will affect tidal flow and reduce the bank even further.

MapisM

Visit site
What I've never understood is in horrid weather the number of people still touching it out on the fly - as in pic 2.
Because that ain't horrid weather, J!
While cruising some narrow passages inside the Kornati islands, I've been caught by a rain heavy enough to not see the bow of my own boat anymore.
I kid you not, I didn't even turn the wipers on, because they made no difference!
And in my boat, I've got the radar screen only in the lower helm, so going down was the only option.
Anyway, tuning and reading the radar screen correctly becomes extremely tricky in those conditions.
Even assuming to have all the instruments repeated on the f/b, nobody in his right mind would have helmed from upstairs, seeing nothing else than a constantly showered screen, if given the choice.
That occasion made me wonder how can folks handle sailboats in such conditions....

PS: re. the OP question, I can't complain.
And if I really should, the only annoying thing so far this summer is that I had to turn the A/C on a bit more than usual! :cool:

Last edited: